Mailing List Archive

Equinix CH1 Overheating
Equinix CH1 is overheating due to some chiller failures. The vendor is on-site troubleshooting. Ambient temperature is currently 28 degrees higher than normal.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP
Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
IBX: CH1
IBX Address: 350 E Cermak Rd, Chicago, 60616
Number: INC0025932
Date and Time of Occurrence: 2024-01-14 08:20:49 Site Local Time

To view the incident and its updates, please use Service Insight.
New update on Incident INC0025932: Equinix IBX Site Staff reports that temperatures have stabilized with an average temperature of 120 F degrees. One chiller is now fully operational, and another chiller is online but operating at reduced capacity. Equinix IBX Critical Facility Engineers continue to work on restoring the required 4-out-of-6 chillers to return cooling back to normal operations. Portable chillers are currently enroute with an estimated arrival time of 21:00 Site Local Time. Upon arrival, IBX Critical Facility Engineers and our vendor partner will work diligently to get the portable chillers online as quickly as possible. We will send another update once the portable chillers are operational.

If not already implemented, Equinix site staff highly recommends that customers power down non-essential loads within the data center and/or transfer those operations to backup sites to assist with efforts at lowering the temperature within the facility.

The severe weather in the Chicago area, contributing to the initial failure, continues to hamper efforts at resolution, but our teams are working diligently to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. IBX Critical Facility Engineers continue to supply outside air to decrease the collocation area's temperature, and all fans have been deployed to support cooling the IBX.
• Service Offering: CH1 - Location - Floor
• Affected Assets: 05
• Asset Condition: Temperature above operating range
• Situation status: Under investigation

The next update will be provided in approximately 30 minutes or earlier if available.

-----

Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
Open the doors?

Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
They tried that:

> IBX Critical Facility Engineers have deployed all available floor fans,
> opened all available doors and have engaged local rental company to source
> additional fans and portable spot coolers.

Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
Windy.com tells me that the outside temperature in Chicago right now is -8F. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work...

Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
Getting into to -discussion territory here, but I suspect they had
difficulty circulating the air sufficiently. Having cold air isn't enough;
you have to swap it out for the hot air pretty often.

Re: Equinix CH1 Overheating [ In reply to ]
Damn tear the fricken roof off!!!
Not the whole damn thing you psychos just small redirected sections to push in a wanted direction. If needed active your own equipment first !
-- J. Hellenthal
The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.
On Jan 14, 2024, at 21:21, Ross Tajvar via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote:

?They tried that:
IBX Critical Facility Engineers have deployed all available floor fans, opened all available doors and have engaged local rental company to source additional fans and portable spot coolers.

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 10:19?PM Jay Ashworth via Outages <outages@outages.org> wrote:
Open the doors?

IBX: CH1IBX Address: 350 E Cermak Rd, Chicago, 60616Number: INC0025932Date and Time of Occurrence: 2024-01-14 08:20:49 Site Local Time

http://www.ics-il.com/"]Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.midwest-ix.com/"]Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/"]The Brothers WISP