CMAS.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://www.bcp38.info 2000 Land Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA BCP38: Ask For It By Name! +1 727 647 1274
Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
Confirming from my end as well. I happen to have no phone service for the past 7 days for mysterious reasons, though VoWIFI and regular SMS works, but I did not get the emergency alert.

?On 10/4/23, 3:27 PM, "Outages on behalf of Jay R. Ashworth via Outages" <outages-bounces@outages.org <mailto:outages-bounces@outages.org> on behalf of outages@outages.org <mailto:outages@outages.org>> wrote:

I have a report from a usually reliable source that he did not receive today's
IPAWS/CMAS/WEA test message, and he surmises this might be because his phone
handset is forced to VoWIFI. I have a number of other reports, mostly though
not all, from the broadcast engineering community; nobody reported expecting
a CMAS and not getting it, so that's not data here.

Is anyone on the list involved with the FEMA/IPAWS/CMAS link, or knows someone
who is, and has a channel to clear this query up through?

I could be unsurprised to find that the carrier VoWIFI proxies missed out on
proxying SMS Cell Broadcast, which I gather provides the underlying PHY for
CMAS.

Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com <mailto:jra@baylink.com>
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100

Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
If not aware, it is possible to disable test alerts on iPhone like today’s specifically. https://support.apple.com/en-us/102516

I noticed mine was off the other day and turned it on in anticipation of today’s test.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
Yesterday I verified that I had everything disabled, and still got the test.

Carlos Alvarez
602-368-6403

Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]
They do not use the test header for these NPTs so your phone sees it as a
valid alert.

Benjamin

Re: IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI [ In reply to ]