minutes. Any info is appreciated.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Have numerous customer sites down as well...have been told by VzB that there is a major fiber cut in their network.
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
We got this message from our account rep:

"We are have a catastrophic event (fiber cut) going in Riverdale, IL"

Not sure if it's related

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM, notifications <notifications at mattfilip.com

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Yeah, this is it. Took us awhile to get info. Their IVR didn't report a
fiber cut, just that they were working on it.

01:34:00

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?

~ jason

notifications at mattfilip.com

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Jason L. Sparks <jlsparks at gmail.com> wrote:

> Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?
>
> ~ jason

Guess it depends on your perspective.
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
No kidding. Someone should ask that rep, if they have ever heard of MPLS
Fast Re-Route. Not that hard...

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
On Aug 26, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Jason L. Sparks wrote:

> Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?
>
> ~ jason
>
> > We got this message from our account rep:
> >
> > "We are have a catastrophic event (fiber cut) going in Riverdale, IL"
> >
> > Not sure if it's related
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM, notifications <notifications at mattfilip.com
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> We currently have at least 5 sites down on Verizon Business MPLS in the
> >> Midwest. (Chicago, Milwaukee, Indy) We?ve been on hold with TAC for 30+
> >> minutes. Any info is appreciated.

Well, Riverdale does have about four very large railroad yards. So if the fiber cut is, for instance, hypothetically speaking, underneath a big burning pile of locomotives and tank cars carrying HazMat, I suppose that could be considered a "catastrophic event." Just sayin'....

----
Andy Ringsmuth
andy at newslink.com
News Link ? Manager Technology
1845 S. 11th St., Lincoln, NE 68502
(402) 475-6397 (402) 304-0083 cellular
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Kenny Sallee <kenny.sallee at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Jason L. Sparks <jlsparks at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?
>>

> Guess it depends on your perspective.

... and how many backup paths you have...

Scott.
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 02:11:26PM -0700, Kenny Sallee wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Jason L. Sparks
> <[1]jlsparks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?
>
> ~ jason
>
> Guess it depends on your perspective.

Sounds catastrophic to me, given that they lack physical redundancy in
their MPLS mesh. Customers should be asking them, post-mortem, why
failover paths weren't available.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
On Aug 26, 2010, at 2:11 PM, Kenny Sallee wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Jason L. Sparks <jlsparks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Catastrophic event. Interesting language for a fibre cut?
>
> ~ jason
>

> Guess it depends on your perspective.

And whether you have a protect side, or, a second-side of the ring with even
more circuits on it (famous Worldcom stunt).

Owen

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Wait you mean have the network do something WITHOUT going through RCMAC?!
BLASPHEMY!

</sarcasm> :)

A little more seriously though, often times theres one of several issues
going on, either a 'collapsed loop' where the "redundant" paths are in the
same trench, or, there just is no redundant path in their network. Happens
far more often than any telco would want to admit to any customer.

If I were affected by this I'd push for a root cause and a documented fix,
along with credit heh.

--On Thursday, August 26, 2010 2:17 PM -0700 Robin Pimentel

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Jeremy,

That's the catastrophic part.

~jason

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Catastrophic event sounds better, and makes customers less liked to be annoyed..

"We had a catastrophic event and that's why you network is down" sounds somewhat reasonable and you get the feeling that they are heroically struggling against terrorist and train wrecks and similar.

"Some clod with a spade sliced our cable in half and now we are screwed..." makes them sound incompetent...

Warren Kumari
------
Please excuse typing, etc -- This was sent from a device with a tiny keyboard.

Verizon Business [ In reply to ]
Fair point. I acknowledge I jumped the gun. Carry on.
~jason

notifications at mattfilip.com