Mailing List Archive

[QUAR] Re: Denver Level3 problems?
We have a ticket open.

MTR between our network (level 3 customer) and another network (level 3
customer) was showing that ae-1-100.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net was running
50%-90% packet loss for the past 6+ hours. Well, that doesn't really
tell the whole story since routers routinely drop ICMP as a matter of
due course during periods of high load. But, point to point pings to
far end destinations that would normally be 40-60ms were varying
regularly (every 60 seconds) to 240-260ms. And, of course the voice
calls on that path sounded like crap.

What it looks like is a router that is experiencing consistently high
CPU load that is chewing on some process every 60 seconds. That
explains the MTR packet loss numbers that are probably innocuous. But,
while the processor is chewing on that process, the throughput latency
goes through the roof. This is a very common thing that we have seen
before . . . just not in the middle of the Level3 network.

The Level3 tech said that since he could not replicate the problem, he
would leave the ticket open until tomorrow.

Bryan