first thought of it and wasn't sure whether to pursue it, and I'd
support any action to create it, once again.

Gadi.
how about an Outages Google Calander? [ In reply to ]
On May 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Gadi Evron wrote:

> The name is self-explanatory, and it can be a great way to track and to parse upcoming outages.
>
> I think this is as good an idea as the outages@ list was when Vicky first thought of it and wasn't sure whether to pursue it, and I'd support any action to create it, once again.

Since you said "upcoming", I am going to assume you mean planned outages, maintenances, etc. If that is wrong, please correct me.

How do you pare it down to something useful? If every network, or even 10%, hell 1% of the networks world-wide put data in there, every day will be a solid block of multiple outages in every time slot.

You could organize by geography, perhaps even by country, which would help. But the fire-hose of data regarding planned outages would be insane.

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Should this be on outages discussion list instead of the main list?
how about an Outages Google Calander? [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/10 5:46 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> On May 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> The name is self-explanatory, and it can be a great way to track and to parse upcoming outages.
>>
>> I think this is as good an idea as the outages@ list was when Vicky first thought of it and wasn't sure whether to pursue it, and I'd support any action to create it, once again.
>
> Since you said "upcoming", I am going to assume you mean planned outages, maintenances, etc. If that is wrong, please correct me.
>
> How do you pare it down to something useful? If every network, or even 10%, hell 1% of the networks world-wide put data in there, every day will be a solid block of multiple outages in every time slot.
>
> You could organize by geography, perhaps even by country, which would help. But the fire-hose of data regarding planned outages would be insane.

Valid points, and much about scalability and parse-ability. I think this
should be taken off-list anyway, I will once again bow before Vicky to
lead this, as he would be best for the job.
how about an Outages Google Calander? [ In reply to ]
On May 12, 2010, at 10:46 AM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> On May 12, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>> The name is self-explanatory, and it can be a great way to track
>> and to parse upcoming outages.
>>
>> I think this is as good an idea as the outages@ list was when Vicky
>> first thought of it and wasn't sure whether to pursue it, and I'd
>> support any action to create it, once again.
>
> Since you said "upcoming", I am going to assume you mean planned
> outages, maintenances, etc. If that is wrong, please correct me.

I'm sorry Patrick, but I think that you just are not thinking big
enough (and considering the health of the system as a whole) --
millions of folks rely on the Internet EVERY DAY and I don't think
that we should just be limiting ourselves to planned outages...

We should be focusing on the unplanned outages, and making sure that
we note them on the calendar at *least* a week before they occur, and
preferably much further in advance than that -- some of us (and you
are included in this) have large networks to deal with, and we need as
much advance warning as possible for unplanned outages.

> How do you pare it down to something useful? If every network, or
> even 10%, hell 1% of the networks world-wide put data in there,
> every day will be a solid block of multiple outages in every time
> slot.

> You could organize by geography,

Wow, yeah, that would be cool, and would allow the large players to
schedule their unplanned outages so that they don't overlap in a
particular geography..