Subject: Re: Undersea cable cut?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:18:49 -0400
From: Chris McDonald <copraphage@gmail.com>
To: St. Onge,Adam <ASTONGE at travelers.com>
CC: nanog at nanog.org <nanog at nanog.org>

There's a cut in SWM4

*SMW4 Segment 4.1 cable fault*

Cable shunt fault developed on SMW4 segment 4.1 (Egypt / Alexandria ?
Branching Unit #4A onward France / Marseilles) at 07:15GMT on 14-Apr. 2010.
However the shunt fault has further deteriorated and the cable segment was
down at 10:03GMT. Only four unprotected Singapore ? London / Frankfurt
STM-4c IP trunks were being affected.

SMW4 NOC updated that there is a shunt fault in segment 4.1 between Egypt /
Alexandria and France / Marseilles with cable fault on Fiber Pair #2 at
1886.152 km from Alexandria towards Palermo. The traffic landed at Palermo
onwards to Europe was being affected, while the traffic running between
Alexandria and Marseilles via Fiber Pair #1 is still maintained.

[Fwd: Re: Undersea cable cut?] [ In reply to ]
i'm not sure one necessarily fails to the other... if people don't subscribe
to the other for restoral or if they're supersmart-- to one of the
transrussia overland routes, they're out of luck.

i frankly don't believe enough capacity exists on the transrussia cables to
backup swm3 and swm4.

i work for a network based across the pond

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:48 PM, virendra rode <virendra.rode at gmail.com>wrote:

> Does anyone across the pond have any further insight into this cut?
>
> Although SEA-ME-WE 3 and 4 are suppose to provide redundancy for
> eachother, not sure what impact has SMW4 segment caused, maybe latency?
>

> Any feedback will be appreciated.
>

> regards,
> /virendra

Maybe outages as such may spark some interest in routing more capacity
from europe and asia over the transrussia networks.

regards,
/virendra

[Fwd: Re: Undersea cable cut?] [ In reply to ]
$quoted_author = "virendra rode" ;

> Although SEA-ME-WE 3 and 4 are suppose to provide redundancy for
> eachother, not sure what impact has SMW4 segment caused, maybe latency?

We've had a London - Kolkata MPLS link go down and come back with twice it's
normal latency. Am still awaiting more explanation from the provider but
certainly looks like no capacity on similar paths leading to routing "the
other way" round the world.

cheers
Marty