Cheers,
-- jra

--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra at baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727 647 1274

Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
AIM partial problems? [ In reply to ]
Are we certain this isn't another case of the underlying protocol (in
this case OSCAR) being changed or adjusted in some way?

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |

AIM partial problems? [ In reply to ]
Hi Jay,

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> I've been seeing, for a day or three, problems where *some* pairs of
> users cannot get AIM to admit to one another that they exist.

Within the past 48 hours, I've seen problems with the AOL Transit Data
Network (atdn.net). I'm not sure if this is related to your AIM issue.

> I can talk to S, S can talk to J, but when J and I add one another to our
> buddy lists, we each see the other user as off-line, and cannot message them.
>
> Client is Pidgin 2.5.1 on Windows, and some other version, possibly, on Linux.
>
> Just now, I've had J send me a message, but she *still* doesn't show up in my
> buddy list where I added her. Spelling doublechecked, etc.
>
> Anyone know of any internal problems with AIM this week?

--
William R. Lorenz
AIM partial problems? [ In reply to ]
Working fine over here.

Using Pidgin 2.5.4

--William

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Jeremy Chadwick
<outages at jdc.parodius.com>wrote:

> Are we certain this isn't another case of the underlying protocol (in
> this case OSCAR) being changed or adjusted in some way?
>
> --
> | Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
> | Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |
> | UNIX Systems Administrator Mountain View, CA, USA |
> | Making life hard for others since 1977. PGP: 4BD6C0CB |
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:28:12AM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > I've been seeing, for a day or three, problems where *some* pairs of
> users
> > cannot get AIM to admit to one another that they exist.
> >
> > Frex:
> >
> > I can talk to S, S can talk to J, but when J and I add one another to our
> > buddy lists, we each see the other user as off-line, and cannot message
> them.
> >
> > Client is Pidgin 2.5.1 on Windows, and some other version, possibly, on
> Linux.
> >
> > Just now, I've had J send me a message, but she *still* doesn't show up
> in my
> > buddy list where I added her. Spelling doublechecked, etc.
> >
> > Anyone know of any internal problems with AIM this week?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- jra
> >
> > --
> > Jay R. Ashworth Baylink
> jra at baylink.com
> > Designer The Things I Think RFC
> 2100
> > Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com
> '87 e24
> > St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727
> 647 1274
> >
> > Start a man a fire, and he'll be warm all night.
> > Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
AIM partial problems? [ In reply to ]
----- "Jeremy Chadwick" <outages at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> Are we certain this isn't another case of the underlying protocol (in
> this case OSCAR) being changed or adjusted in some way?

It's entirely possible it could be that, especially since it only seemed to be
happening to newly added contacts.

To confuse things worse, that new contact J of mine, *while still showing
up in Pidgin as unavailable*, did get through to me, and I could chat with
her. Though I could not originate to her, and I think she still saw me as
offline.

I wouldn't object to switching to some other protocol/server, but I have
Metcalfe's Law problems...

Cheers,
-- jra

AIM partial problems? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> I wouldn't object to switching to some other protocol/server, but I have
> Metcalfe's Law problems...

For what it's worth, I've seen similar problems with losing contact state
from XMPP-based servers, specifically Openfire 3.6.4. Sometimes some users
get stale state information, while others are successfully logged in (can
message, can receive messages) but their availability doesn't propagate.

It's a bizarre problem which hasn't proven easy to track down.

-Nick