Mailing List Archive

AT&T Email to SMS outage?
Been occurring since around 2:04 am CDT.

Called customer service number and got a story about a Media.Net
outage in southeast.

Message Service Center +14047259015 if that matters.

Also replying to SMS received emails from your phone that were already
there yields an error message, sorry I do not have that saved.

Never get emails sent from gmail never arrive. I assume they suffer a
similar fate?

- Gabriel

Jun 9 02:04:22 X sm-mta[1076]: n5974CdE031021: to=<662XXXXXXX at cingularme.c
om>, ctladdr=<X at X.X.com> (1000/1000), delay=00:00:10, xdelay=0
0:00:10, mailer=esmtp, pri=30452, relay=atlsmtp.cingularme.net. [66.102.165.114]
, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 452 Message rejected

telnet atlsmtp.cingularme.net 25
Trying 66.102.165.114...
Connected to atlsmtp.cingularme.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 atledge01.cingularme.com ESMTP server (InterMail vG.1.02.00.03
201-2136-104-103-20050318) ready Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:44:24 -0400
EHLO atl
250-atledge01.cingularme.com
250-HELP
250-VRFY
250-XREMOTEQUEUE
250-ETRN
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 10485760
MAIL FROM: <XXX at XXXXXXXXX.com>
250 Sender <XXX at XXXXXXXXX.com> Ok
RCPT TO: <662XXXXXXX at txt.att.net>
250 Recipient <662XXXXXXX at txt.att.net> Ok
DATA
354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
TEST
<CRLF>.<CRLF>
452 Message rejected
quit
221 atledge01.cingularme.com ESMTP server closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

telnet atlsmtp.cingularme.net 25
Trying 66.102.165.114...
Connected to atlsmtp.cingularme.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
421 Service not available
Connection closed by foreign host.
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
I'm seeing this as well in Seattle - I've gotten one SMS 90 minutes
late, and had 5 others go into the ether. Any updates?

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
After an hour on the phone they opened a case, maybe it will do some good.

I was hoping someone had better contacts than me in the wireless division.

I guess if you want to poison DNS it appears the MTA below is working
(or it did for me). The .7 address accepted the message, but did not
deliver it.

Don't know if there are other MTAs in that same block or if this one is
behind the load balancer or not. This was from an egress message that
worked.

Good luck.

telnet 66.102.165.8 25
Trying 66.102.165.8...
Connected to 66.102.165.8.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 atlmtaow03.cingularme.com ESMTP server (InterMail vM.6.01.04.00
201-2131-118-20041027) ready Tue, 9 Jun 2009 15:06:51 -0400

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 02:16:13PM -0500, Gabriel Grissett wrote:
> After an hour on the phone they opened a case, maybe it will do some good.

confirming that there are issues (from the Bay Area)

Jun 9 12:28:27 mx-out-host sendmail[4831]: n59JSKM04829: \
to=408_______ at txt.att.net, ctladdr=andreas, \
delay=00:00:07, xdelay=00:00:07, mailer=esmtp, pri=60318, \
relay=atlsmtp.cingularme.net. [66.102.165.114], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: \
452 Message rejected

This host is on AT&T DSL and can successfuly send e-mail to other places.

-andreas
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Having issues here in San Diego. Email to SMS, seeing this error in
mail log.

(connect to atlsmtp.cingularme.net[66.102.165.114]: Connection timed
out)

--
Paul Norton
Systems Administrator
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Just got my test message. Took about 2 hours and 10 minutes.

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
2009/6/10 Paul Norton <paul at neoverve.com>:
> Just got my test message. Took about 2 hours and 10 minutes.
>
> On Jun 9, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Paul Norton wrote:
>
>> Having issues here in San Diego. ?Email to SMS, seeing this error in mail
>> log.
>>
>> (connect to atlsmtp.cingularme.net[66.102.165.114]: Connection timed out)
>>

>> On Jun 9, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Gabriel Grissett wrote:
>>
>>> Been occurring since around 2:04 am CDT.
>>>
>>> Called customer service number and got a story about a Media.Net
>>> outage in southeast.
>>>
>>> Message Service Center +14047259015 if that matters.
>>>
>>> Also replying to SMS received emails from your phone that were already
>>> there yields an error message, sorry I do not have that saved.
>>>
>>> Never get emails sent from gmail never arrive. I assume they suffer a
>>> similar fate?
>>>

>> --
>> Paul Norton
>> Systems Administrator
>> Neoverve - www.neoverve.com
>> Neoverve Blog - http://blog.neoverve.com/

> Paul Norton
> Systems Administrator
> Neoverve - www.neoverve.com
> Neoverve Blog - http://blog.neoverve.com/

That sort of delay for SMS text messages isn't unusual - bit like
email there's no guarantee of timely delivery with SMS. In Europe
delays of this nature aren't uncommon

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Isn't unusual? Are you kidding? It's pretty unusual here in the US.

I wouldn't recommend using e-mail to SMS for anything critical but for
years, at least in my experience, it's been zippy enough.

12+ hours in some cases for e-mail to SMS though? Come on, that makes
it totally unusable. You Europeans should demand better service!

Regards,

Steve

Martin Hepworth wroteth on 6/10/2009 12:11 AM:

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Steve Ryan wrote:
> Isn't unusual? Are you kidding? It's pretty unusual here in the US.
>
> I wouldn't recommend using e-mail to SMS for anything critical but for
> years, at least in my experience, it's been zippy enough.
>
> 12+ hours in some cases for e-mail to SMS though? Come on, that makes
> it totally unusable. You Europeans should demand better service!
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve

The last time I saw anything take this long was about 16 months ago -
New Years 2008.. I personally send quite a few SMS's, and we have a fair
few of sms traffic from some of our monitoring - it's never let us down.
'Course, we run our own email to sms gateway for it - don't rely on 3rd
parties for these things, that's likely where the issue is!

Unless of course the UK is just lightyears ahead of the curve in Europe..

Chris

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
It happens. We had the same issue with Sprint sending messages from a monitoring system via email to the gateway and then getting SMS text messages on our smart phones. It worked great for years and then recently we started getting SMS messages hours late. After some troubleshooting we determined it was a delay at the Sprint email/SMS gateway. We switched to AT&T and the problem went away.

--
Tim Sanderson

Isn't unusual? Are you kidding? It's pretty unusual here in the US.

I wouldn't recommend using e-mail to SMS for anything critical but for
years, at least in my experience, it's been zippy enough.

12+ hours in some cases for e-mail to SMS though? Come on, that makes
it totally unusable. You Europeans should demand better service!

Regards,

Steve

Martin Hepworth wroteth on 6/10/2009 12:11 AM:
> 2009/6/10 Paul Norton <paul at neoverve.com>:
>> Just got my test message. Took about 2 hours and 10 minutes.
>>
>> On Jun 9, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Paul Norton wrote:
>>
>>> Having issues here in San Diego. Email to SMS, seeing this error in mail
>>> log.
>>>
>>> (connect to atlsmtp.cingularme.net[66.102.165.114]: Connection timed out)

>>> --
>>> Paul Norton
>>> Systems Administrator
>>> Neoverve - www.neoverve.com
>>> Neoverve Blog - http://blog.neoverve.com/

>> --
>> Paul Norton
>> Systems Administrator
>> Neoverve - www.neoverve.com
>> Neoverve Blog - http://blog.neoverve.com/

> That sort of delay for SMS text messages isn't unusual - bit like
> email there's no guarantee of timely delivery with SMS. In Europe
> delays of this nature aren't uncommon

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank you.
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
I've seen that type of delay with T-Mobile in the US.

AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]

> 'Course, we run our own email to sms gateway for it - don't rely on 3rd
> parties for these things, that's likely where the issue is!

How do you do this? Your gateway system dual/multi- homed across your
LAN/WAN and a provider's (or several providers') air interface(s)? or snpp,
or other?
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
AT&T Email to SMS outage? [ In reply to ]
Using a lot of text messages, I find that 5-10 of my messages (incomming and
outgoing) are delayed or most likley lost per week (on average). These are
rough numbers and it only counts for the messages I know about becuase the
person on the other end says something to me.

While some of these delays are extensive, they are not out of the ordinary.
However, that is no excuse for service providers.

- Chris