Mailing List Archive

Comcast Issues on Eastern Seaboard
Hello,

We have been getting a large number of calls from Comcast customers out of Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Virginia, Florida, etc., with connection issues to our servers in Japan. Got off the phone with Comcast NOC in Denver and they were not yet aware of any issues. Anyone heard of any issues on the Eastern Seaboard with Comcast starting at around 1/5/2009 @ 11:30 PST and continuing until the present?

Thanks,
Jesse Fuller
Square Enix, Inc. Operations Support
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Comcast Issues on Eastern Seaboard [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 04:01:18PM -0800, Jesse Fuller wrote:
> We have been getting a large number of calls from Comcast customers
> out of Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Virginia,
> Florida, etc., with connection issues to our servers in Japan. Got off
> the phone with Comcast NOC in Denver and they were not yet aware of
> any issues. Anyone heard of any issues on the Eastern Seaboard with
> Comcast starting at around 1/5/2009 @ 11:30 PST and continuing until
> the present?

No, but Comcast in the past 90 days has been working to remove a part of
their throttling infrastructure and implement rate-limiting if users go
over a certain percentage of their bandwidth for X number of minutes.
That got deployed yesterday (2009/01/04):

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/New-Comcast-Throttling-System-100-Online-100015

It's possible that some piece of that infrastructure on the east coast
is broken. This is not fact, but speculation on my part, given the
timing of things.

A good forum to skim over would be DSLR's forum. If there's an outage,
people there will usually complain within minutes:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

For what it's worth, I play FFXI and live in California, and I've been
seeing problems even using POL for a few weeks now, where content in POL
won't load due to server network timeouts (it's very intermittent, but
it does happen). It usually happens late at night, which I believe is
peak time in Japan.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick jdc at parodius.com |
| Parodius Networking http://www.parodius.com/ |