Satish Alwani
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Indian Network Slow / Packet Loss [ In reply to ]
SMW4 submarine cable system failure

--
Indian Network Slow / Packet Loss [ In reply to ]
From what we have heard, failure on SeaMeaWea3, SeaMeaWea4 and FALCON
submarine cable system at Alexandria.

Regards,

Indian Network Slow / Packet Loss [ In reply to ]
First Story on it so far. Any additional details would be appreciated.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/12/19/234016/cable-damage-disrupts-internet-services.htm
A sub-sea cable carrying more than 75% of traffic between the Middle East, Europe and America has been damaged.

According to news service Bloomberg, internet and telephone communications <http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/11/17/233425/internet-service-reaches-for-the-stars-through-the-cloud.htm> between the Middle East and Europe have been impacted by submarine cable failures <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aFM6PQsd6i2Q> between Italy and Egypt in the Mediterranean Sea.

Bettina Tratz-Ryan, research vice-president at Gartner, said, "Personally, I think this is very dramatic." She said that the disruption in network traffic could impact e-commerce sales during the busiest weekend before Christmas. "It will have a substantial impact."

Tratz-Ryan said, "People take network communications <http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/02/28/229620/firms-must-build-tight-slas-into-virtual-network-comms.htm> for granted, but the underlying network <http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/12/10/233829/taylor-wessing-improves-network-with-geo-fibre.htm> needs to be secure."
<http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink/289/1437451/0/277/AdId=1998055;BnId=1;itime=706874535;key=IT_industry_research;nodecode=yes;link=http://clk.atdmt.com/OUT/go/122381085/direct/01/706874535/>
<http://reed-cw.grapeshot.co.uk/redirect.cgi?url=http://adserver.adtech.de/adlink/3.0/289/1437451/0/277/ADTECH;loc=300;key=GS_TOPIC>

Alex Smith, research analyst at Canalys, said, "These type of problems have happened before. Network connects will be re-routed, but connections will be slower."

Interoute was one of the European telco providers to spot the problem. Jonathan Wright, director of wholesale products of UK ISP Interoute, said, "The potential impact of an outage of this size cannot be underestimated - it is like severing a major artery. In a global economy with financial centres based around the world, and an increasing use of outsourced call centres and IT departments, it is essential that companies are confident in their communications networks."

Derrick