Mailing List Archive

10G optics showing up as OC3
Hello, I wanted to share this for others. I had received a 10G DWDM optic from my carrier and it wouldn’t work. Turns out the optic did not have the reach programmed into it and JunOS didn’t handle this well.

I addressed this by writing the reach into byte 0x3 on the optic, which for the FS ones required writing a password to change the byte, which was 0x00000000 for this FS optic.

Apr 16 19:27:41 Router fpc0 Unknown transceiver type. Set to default OC3C
Apr 16 19:27:41 Router fpc0 sfp-0/0/36(36), SFP 21: unknown OC3 optic type 0

Before fixing:
https://github.com/jaredmauch/sfppi/blob/master/data_samples/sfp-dwdm-ch44-nonjnpr

After fixing:

https://github.com/jaredmauch/sfppi/blob/master/data_samples/sfp-dwdm-ch44-nonjnpr-fixed

I wanted to share this in case someone else had a similar problem. It’s interesting that an ethernet-only platform even allowed OC3 to be a default. Have a good weekend.

- jared