Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
So my SE came back to me a short while ago to say that at present,
routing protocols will not be disabled if an MX304 (or some future
box/code designed for the same authorization framework) does not have
the appropriate license installed.

He did add, however, that Juniper are considering enforcing routing
protocol licenses in the future, and that he cannot say, with any
certainty, that this will not become a thing in the future.

I'd suggest staying very close to our SE's for the desired outcome we
want for this development. As we have seen before, Juniper appear
reasonably open to operator feedback, but we would need to give it to
them to begin with.

Mark.
Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 26 Oct 2023 at 16:40, Mark Tinka via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> I'd suggest staying very close to our SE's for the desired outcome we
> want for this development. As we have seen before, Juniper appear
> reasonably open to operator feedback, but we would need to give it to
> them to begin with.

I urge everyone to give them the same message as I've given.

Any type of license, even timed license, after it expires will not
cause an outage. And enforcement would be 'call home' via 'http(s)'
proxy, which reports the license-use data to Juniper sales, making it
a commercial problem between Juniper and you.

Proxy, so that you don't need Internet access on the device.
Potentially you could ask for encryption-less mode, if you want to log
on the proxy what is actually being sent to the vendor. I don't give
flying or any other method of locomotion fuck about leaking
information.

I believe this is a very reasonable give/take compromise which is
marketable, but if we try to start punching holes through esoteric
concerns, we'll get boxes which die periodically because someone
forgot to re-up. This is a real future that may happen, unless we
demand it must not.

--
++ytti
Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
#1, sorry I opened up the Women in STEM discussion, was not meant to ????

The comment about licenses – agree 100% with what was stated.

“I'd suggest staying very close to our SE's for the desired outcome we
want for this development. As we have seen before, Juniper appear
reasonably open to operator feedback, but we would need to give it to
them to begin with.”

Could not agree more with the above!!!

Regards, Rich

Richard McGovern
Sr Sales Engineer, Juniper Networks
978-618-3342

I’d rather be lucky than good, as I know I am not good
I don’t make the news, I just report it

Juniper Business Use Only

Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/23 15:47, Saku Ytti wrote:
> I urge everyone to give them the same message as I've given.
>
> Any type of license, even timed license, after it expires will not
> cause an outage. And enforcement would be 'call home' via 'http(s)'
> proxy, which reports the license-use data to Juniper sales, making it
> a commercial problem between Juniper and you.
>
> Proxy, so that you don't need Internet access on the device.
> Potentially you could ask for encryption-less mode, if you want to log
> on the proxy what is actually being sent to the vendor. I don't give
> flying or any other method of locomotion fuck about leaking
> information.
>
> I believe this is a very reasonable give/take compromise which is
> marketable, but if we try to start punching holes through esoteric
> concerns, we'll get boxes which die periodically because someone
> forgot to re-up. This is a real future that may happen, unless we
> demand it must not.

I agree.

Mark.
Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
After tshooting with JTAC yesterday, they've determined the built-in FPC
to be a problem.  They are doing RMA.

Strange that when the 60-day trail license expired, I decided to reboot
to see what would happen.  I rebooted "request system reboot
both-routing-engines" and that's when the router never worked after
that.  Strange that this would "fry" the FPC.  Maybe there was already
something wrong with it... I don't know. Perhaps I'll try to reproduce
it after the new chassis comes back.

-Aaron

I wonder if the "request vmhost reboot routing-engine both" would've
done anything differently

Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
On 10/26/23 16:10, Aaron Gould wrote:
> After tshooting with JTAC yesterday, they've determined the built-in
> FPC to be a problem.  They are doing RMA.
>
> Strange that when the 60-day trail license expired, I decided to
> reboot to see what would happen.  I rebooted "request system reboot
> both-routing-engines" and that's when the router never worked after
> that.  Strange that this would "fry" the FPC.  Maybe there was already
> something wrong with it... I don't know. Perhaps I'll try to reproduce
> it after the new chassis comes back.
>
> -Aaron
>
> I wonder if the "request vmhost reboot routing-engine both" would've
> done anything differently

According to the documentation, re1 is also seen as fpc0 if you put an
LMIC in it. Would have been good to troubleshoot by putting an LMIC in
the re1 slot to see if that works. But since re1 is fpc0/pic2, then it
probably wouldn't work if JTAC are saying it's an FPC failure.

Mark.
Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]

> Did I mention Arista is not spending valuable engineer time on all this
> license shit, but on actually making great products?

Oh they aren't?

https://www.arista.com/en/support/product-documentation/eos-feature-licensing

Arista will almost certainly move towards a licensing model similar to
other vendors at some point once their growth curve slows and they need to
start squeezing more revenue out of what they are selling.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 9:36?AM Gert Doering via juniper-nsp <

Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 12:09:39PM -0400, Tom Beecher wrote:
> > Did I mention Arista is not spending valuable engineer time on all this
> > license shit, but on actually making great products?
>
> Oh they aren't?
>
> https://www.arista.com/en/support/product-documentation/eos-feature-licensing

There are licenses, and they do expect you to actually buy them (which
I do not particularily object to, as long as the license price is not
like 5x the price of the hardware).

But there is no single line of code *anywhere* that deals with licensing,
not only "no enforcement" but actually no way to even enter any sort of
licensing thing into the device itself.

As I said, their engineers are busy making good products. Other vendors
prefer to build convoluted license checking/enforcement schemes, and
neglect overall software quality. We've made our choice.

> Arista will almost certainly move towards a licensing model similar to
> other vendors at some point once their growth curve slows and they need to
> start squeezing more revenue out of what they are selling.

We'll see. Maybe there will be someone else then who is not intent on
annoying their customers, but on actually building a good working
relationship.

(I do seem to remember that at a time Juniper had the reputation on
very high quality software, and a good TAC, and 'that other vendor'
started doing the licensing bullshit, driving customers away... seems
someone in product marketing misunderstood the "market leader" bullshit
from 'that other vendor' in a big way)

Re: MX304 - Edge Router [ In reply to ]
Base licensing is useful if you self-spare, such that the capital invested
in cold spares sitting in a warehouse is significantly less than the full
cost of the device with licensing.

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 9:53?AM Michael Hare via juniper-nsp <