VGAs' Virtual MAC address (00:00:5e:00:01:01) to originate packets, but
instead uses the interface real MAC address to originate packets.

Are there any special thoughts behind this? It will cause BUM flooding if
peer is a layer 2 switch ( peer s will never learn VGA virtual MAC address)

Thanks for your help!

--
BR!

James Chen
Re: EVPN VGA MAC address learning cause flooding [ In reply to ]
Hi

Yes you need to set the vga-v4/v6-mac on the IRB interface:

virtual-gateway-v4-mac | EVPN User Guide | Juniper Networks TechLibrary
<https://www.juniper.net/documentation/us/en/software/junos/evpn-vxlan/topics/ref/statement/virtual-gateway-v4-mac-edit-interfaces.html>

eg:

set interfaces irb.x virtual-gateway-v4-mac 00:00:5e:44:44:44
set interfaces irb.x virtual-gateway-v6-mac 00:00:5e:66:66:66

Regards
Roger

Re: EVPN VGA MAC address learning cause flooding [ In reply to ]
Sorry I missed you _actual_ question :)
I never figured out why this is the default behavior, sorry.

Regards
Roger

Re: EVPN VGA MAC address learning cause flooding [ In reply to ]
Interesting discussion here. I take it this is not just an issue for
packets *originated* by the switch (as in generated by the switch),
but also routed packets it forwards?

Sounds like the config posted hard-coding the MAC is a sensible thing
to do. I'm pondering now, in a situation with multiple vlans / irb
interfaces on a device, if there is any requirement to set a different
VG MAC for each one? Seems I could use, for instance, the two in the
example for every irb/vlan and not have any conflict?

thanks,

Cathal.

On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 at 15:48, Roger Wiklund via juniper-nsp