Umm, why is there a CLI command to turn the router ON?
--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
On 2018-12-13 16:10, Chris Adams wrote:

> While configuring a new MX204, I noticed this:
>
> admin@newrouter> request vmhost power-o?
> Possible completions:
> power-off Power off the software on RE
> power-on Power on the system
>
> Umm, why is there a CLI command to turn the router ON?

The command is to power on the *other* routing-engine:

> request vmhost power-on ?
Possible completions:
other-routing-engine Power on other Routing Engine

Power off, on the other hand, seems like it can be done either on
the current RE, or on the other RE:

> request vmhost power-off ?
Possible completions:
<[Enter]> Execute this command
other-routing-engine Power off other Routing Engine
| Pipe through a command

I have never actually tried executing those commands, just checked
what is available with completion. And reading the documentation:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-vmhost-power-on.html

Why that command is available even on an MX204, which I believe
only has a single RE, I don't know. (The only MX:es I have access
to are MX480s.)

/Bellman
Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, Thomas Bellman <bellman@nsc.liu.se> said:
> On 2018-12-13 16:10, Chris Adams wrote:
> > While configuring a new MX204, I noticed this:
> >
> > admin@newrouter> request vmhost power-o?
> > Possible completions:
> > power-off Power off the software on RE
> > power-on Power on the system
> >
> > Umm, why is there a CLI command to turn the router ON?
>
> The command is to power on the *other* routing-engine:

Oh yeah, that of course makes sense... I didn't think of checking that.
On an MX204, the "power-on" option has no additional completions, so
probably just errors out. I already boxed up the new MX204, and I'm not
going to test it out on an in-service MX204 :).

--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
On Thu Dec 13, 2018 at 10:41:49AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Oh yeah, that of course makes sense... I didn't think of checking that.
> On an MX204, the "power-on" option has no additional completions, so
> probably just errors out. I already boxed up the new MX204, and I'm not
> going to test it out on an in-service MX204 :).

Given I just racked an MX204 in the lab, I thought I'd give it a try...

simon.lockhart@cr-01.lab.cc> request vmhost power-off
Power-off the vmhost ? [yes,no] (no) yes
[snip]
ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S5
Power down.

... at which point there's no sign of life on the front of the MX204, and the
fans were running at full speed (I could hear them before I walked into the
lab).

Seems the only way to recover from that was to power cycle the box.

Simon
Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
Once upon a time, Simon Lockhart <simon@slimey.org> said:
> On Thu Dec 13, 2018 at 10:41:49AM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Oh yeah, that of course makes sense... I didn't think of checking that.
> > On an MX204, the "power-on" option has no additional completions, so
> > probably just errors out. I already boxed up the new MX204, and I'm not
> > going to test it out on an in-service MX204 :).
>
> Given I just racked an MX204 in the lab, I thought I'd give it a try...
>

> simon.lockhart@cr-01.lab.cc> request vmhost power-off

The "interesting" command is the power-ON part... which I did try on a
test MX204, and it just says that the backup RE slot is empty (of
course, there is no backup RE slot on an MX204).

--
Chris Adams <cma@cmadams.net>
Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
How did you like the MX204 ? How much testing did you do?

I have one now, just received it on Friday, and I have it in the lab.

I'm currently just testing a few things...

ospf
mpls
ldp
vrf
bridge-domain
multiple different vlan tags on same physical interface with different tags
on different units (subinterfaces)

all seems good at this point

The interfaces were interesting trying to get those up...

I had to set chassis fpc speed for all of them pic 0 and pic 1 to get a 40
gig interface on pic 0 to work (bounce pic's... request chassis fpc pic etc
offline... then online)

-Aaron

Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
I like them. 100G FS DAC between a pair works well in 17, not so much in 18
code (although I didn't try disabling auto negotiation, which is a quirk
with the 4300/5100 sometimes). I gave up early on about not hard setting
the interfaces. Never worked for me until I did that. BGP did as expected.

set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 tunnel-services bandwidth 200g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 0 speed 100g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 1 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 0 port 2 speed 40g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 0 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 1 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 2 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 3 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 4 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 5 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 6 speed 10g
set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 7 speed 10g

IS-IS, VRRP work well. There is a behavior change between 17.1 and 17.2 for
the firewall filter (stopped VRRP in 17.2 without a rule that 17.1 did not
require). I'm not doing anything crazy with the boxes in general but
they're working well for the 8 I put in.

Eric

Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Eric,

What is "100G FS DAC" ?

Why were you using 4300/5100 with MX204 ? is that for port expansion made
possible with fusion or vc or vcf ?

Also, you didn't set pic 0 port 3 speed ?

BTW, you doing any qinq tagging? ...also, subinterface (unit level)
policing ? If not, I'm about to test that as a must-have for where I intend
on deploying, to which I'll let you know findings.

-Aaron

Re: Silly command? [ In reply to ]
We’ve also had to set various commands like:

Chassis { fpc 0 pic 0 port 0
channel-speed disable-auto-speed-detection;
}

Depending on the hardware used. This is seen with some cables that can do 4x25 or 1x100g based on how the framer is set.

- Jared