Mailing List Archive

M-series 802.3ad one-to-many....?
Hi All,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a layer-2 switch run 802.3ad
aggregation with two GigE links running to two separate Juniper routers.
I've seen a few one-to-many 802.3ad applications, but sofar impossible
to implement in a multi-vendor network.
I'm looking for a way to have two separate M-series routers to both
exchange traffic with a single layer-2 switch running 802.3ad link
aggregation, with GigE links going to both routers from the single
switch.

The point here is not to have the J-boxes relay the traffic at layer-2
as a transit node onto another router or switch. I'd like to configure
both M-series with identical 802.1q tagged VLANs and identical GigE unit
IPv4 addresses on both routers.
From the switch's perspective this shouldn't cause any problems, apart
from the fact that since the J-boxes will both only have a single link
of the trunk connected to them, LACP problems will probably arise,
unless there's a cunning trick to prevent it.

This might sound a bit far-fetched, but I need a VRRP look-alike, that
scales well beyond 255 VRID's without the luxury of running MPLS on the
switch side and preferrable without having to split up the Junipers in
different logical routers.

---
Erik Haagsman
Network Architect