Marcel Lemmen
Support Net - Partner in Managed Internet Solutions

--= Try http://alt.binaries.nl =--
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:23:15PM +0100, Marcel Lemmen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a lucky owner (*sarcasm*) of a Cisco and at this point I'm hitting the
> Cisco 7500 Geip+ max performance. As you might know you can't achieve more
> then 400 Mbit/s RX and 400Mbit/s TX since the bus has been divided.
>
> Now we are looking for alternatives so my question, what is Juniper's
> interpretation of Gigabit. Is this 1000Mbps divided, 500Mbps for RX and
> 500 for TX or can one really achieve (close to) 1Gb/s?

I can do 1 Gbps, but it's not really fair to compare the ancient 7500 to
a Juniper M series, a compareable Cisco would be a 7600 or 12000 series.

/Jesper

--
Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk - CCIE #5456

Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:41:45PM +0100, Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > Now we are looking for alternatives so my question, what is Juniper's
> > interpretation of Gigabit. Is this 1000Mbps divided, 500Mbps for RX and
> > 500 for TX or can one really achieve (close to) 1Gb/s?
>
> I can do 1 Gbps,

How, with only 800mbps full-duplex interconnect PIC-FPC?

Regards,
Daniel
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 12:41:45PM +0100, Jesper Skriver wrote:
>> > Now we are looking for alternatives so my question, what is Juniper's
>> > interpretation of Gigabit. Is this 1000Mbps divided, 500Mbps for RX and
>> > 500 for TX or can one really achieve (close to) 1Gb/s?
>>
>> I can do 1 Gbps,

> How, with only 800mbps full-duplex interconnect PIC-FPC?

the PIC-FPC Slot Bandwidth for FPC Type 1 is 1Gbit/sec.

Josef

Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
I think it's 3.2Gbps per FPC, divided among the active PICs... there are 4
PIC slots, but if you add up to 2.5 Gbps of interface speeds, it is still
non-blocking. 2.5 Gbps of full-duplex traffic grows to near 3.2Gbps of
PIC-FPC traffic, because of J-Cell expansion.

Rubens

Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
> Now we are looking for alternatives so my question, what is Juniper's
> interpretation of Gigabit. Is this 1000Mbps divided, 500Mbps for RX and
> 500 for TX or can one really achieve (close to) 1Gb/s?

It can go a bit further than 1 Gbps... on tests we violated mininum
interframe gap specs and the router accepted all traffic without loss.

> Could you please post your Juniper-experience to the list?

A strong feeling that packets travel thru C75xx in slow motion...

Rubens
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:15:09PM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
> the PIC-FPC Slot Bandwidth for FPC Type 1 is 1Gbit/sec.

Hm ok, I had otherwise in mind. Perhaps I did the mistake to divide
the 3.2Gbps FPC bandwidth by 4 (which would result in 800Mbps per
PIC).

Is your 1Gbps figure net, or gross (including J-Cell overhead)?

Regards,
Daniel
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:15:09PM +0100, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>> the PIC-FPC Slot Bandwidth for FPC Type 1 is 1Gbit/sec.

> Hm ok, I had otherwise in mind. Perhaps I did the mistake to divide
> the 3.2Gbps FPC bandwidth by 4 (which would result in 800Mbps per
> PIC).

> Is your 1Gbps figure net, or gross (including J-Cell overhead)?

There is no J-Cell going from the PIC towards the FPC so this
is net. The packet stream will be cut into Cell at the I/O
Manager towards Memory and this is where you have the memory
bandwidth of 3.2Gbps excluding J-Cell overhead for one I/O ASIC
and the reason why you will not be able to run line rate on
4 * 1port GE-PIC on one FPC which is also documented AFAIK.

thanks
Josef

Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
Out of curiosity, were you able to have the juniper transmit >1gbps as
well on a gig-e port , or only receive?
If so, how?

On Dec 24, 2003, at 7:36 AM, Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:

>> Now we are looking for alternatives so my question, what is Juniper's
>> interpretation of Gigabit. Is this 1000Mbps divided, 500Mbps for RX
>> and
>> 500 for TX or can one really achieve (close to) 1Gb/s?
>
> It can go a bit further than 1 Gbps... on tests we violated mininum
> interframe gap specs and the router accepted all traffic without loss.
>
>> Could you please post your Juniper-experience to the list?
>
> A strong feeling that packets travel thru C75xx in slow motion...
>

> Rubens

--Phil Rosenthal
ISPrime, Inc.
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Dec 24, 2003, at 9:10 AM, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:

> There is no J-Cell going from the PIC towards the FPC so this
> is net. The packet stream will be cut into Cell at the I/O
> Manager towards Memory and this is where you have the memory
> bandwidth of 3.2Gbps excluding J-Cell overhead for one I/O ASIC
> and the reason why you will not be able to run line rate on
> 4 * 1port GE-PIC on one FPC which is also documented AFAIK.

I think there are some big misconceptions people have. Does this mean
that if you have 4 gig-e's doing random packet len, 0bps in one
direction, and 1000mbps in the other, it would max out at an aggregate
of ~3.2gbps or ~2.5gbps of actual IP data?

--Phil Rosenthal
ISPrime, Inc.
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
Only receive, output traffic was split between two interfaces in some tests,
filtered or rate-limited in others.

Rubens

Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 03:20:29PM -0500, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
> Out of curiosity, were you able to have the juniper transmit >1gbps as
> well on a gig-e port , or only receive?
> If so, how?

We've had GE ports doing line-rate during DoS attacks.

Infact we've had 2 GE ports doing the ae0 (aggregated ethernet)
doing line rate. We've since gone to 10ge in those locations, so I can't
remember the exact hardware configuration.

Those were some impressive tests of the hardware. Vendors
that want hardware/forwarding testing just need to request a DoS
attack ;-)

- Jared

Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
On Dec 24, 2003, at 5:01 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 03:20:29PM -0500, Phil Rosenthal wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, were you able to have the juniper transmit >1gbps as
>> well on a gig-e port , or only receive?
>> If so, how?
>
> We've had GE ports doing line-rate during DoS attacks.
>
> Infact we've had 2 GE ports doing the ae0 (aggregated ethernet)
> doing line rate. We've since gone to 10ge in those locations, so I
> can't
> remember the exact hardware configuration.
>
> Those were some impressive tests of the hardware. Vendors
> that want hardware/forwarding testing just need to request a DoS
> attack ;-)
>
> - Jared

Right, you're talking about inbound at 1gbps. My question was >1gbps
with nonstandard ethernet settings of transmit, not receive. I've had
1000mbit in, and 950mbit out simultaneously on gig-e cards on a M20...
Never more than that though (on a single card).

--Phil Rosenthal
ISPrime, Inc.
Juniper's Gigabit performance [ In reply to ]
> On Dec 24, 2003, at 9:10 AM, Josef Buchsteiner wrote:
>>
>> There is no J-Cell going from the PIC towards the FPC so this
>> is net. The packet stream will be cut into Cell at the I/O
>> Manager towards Memory and this is where you have the memory
>> bandwidth of 3.2Gbps excluding J-Cell overhead for one I/O ASIC
>> and the reason why you will not be able to run line rate on
>> 4 * 1port GE-PIC on one FPC which is also documented AFAIK.
>>
> I think there are some big misconceptions people have. Does this mean
> that if you have 4 gig-e's doing random packet len, 0bps in one
> direction, and 1000mbps in the other, it would max out at an aggregate
> of ~3.2gbps or ~2.5gbps of actual IP data?

let me explain more in detail to clear things up. The memory
bandwidth from the I/O Manager is 32bit @125Mhz. which gives
you a raw bandwidth of 4Gbps. Since each J-Cell has an overhead
of 16 byte we come to the 3.2Gbps of J-Cell payload. From here
on we only talk about cells per second. So we can have at max.
per FPC an aggregate throughput of 4Gbps/((64*8)+(16*8))=
6,25Mcps.

So the question is IP-Payload identical to J-Cell Payload. Not
all the time and it depends on the packet-size. Lets do en
example.

64byte Ethernet Frame is 1488095,2 pps @46IP. So if you have a
stream of 4 PIC's and each sending this amount we need 1488096
cells * 4 = 5952384 Cells per second in total. So that should
work. Lets do an example of 1500 byte. Here we need 24 Cells
and with 1500byte@IP we can send max 81274,382 pps. So we need
81275 * 24 = 1950600 cells per second for one Stream. If you
multiply this by four you would need 7802400 cells/per second
which is 20% more what we can handle. ( I've not mentioned for
simplicity that we add some more J-Cells without ip-payload
which contain address information only for larger packets ).
Now you can do the academic maths. for all packets sizes.

hope this clarifies the topic
Josef