Mailing List Archive

Strange log IS-IS messages.
Strange log IS-IS messages. [ In reply to ]
Wednesday, November 19, 2003, 8:59:49 AM, you wrote:

> Hello again. One of our routers is giving a strange message I've never seen
> before:

> Nov 19 00:21:23 XXXXXXX.re0 rpd[15607]: RPD_ISIS_ADJDOWN:
> IS-IS lost L2 adjacency to YYYYYYY.re0 on so-0/0/0.0, reason:
> 3-Way Handshake Failed

> I haven't been able to find a document in Juniper site regarding
> this message (BTW, Juniper guys, the search interface *sucks*. I don't
> understand why it insist on displaying in first place unrelevant results).

David,
thank you for bringing this up. Can you provide me the
pointer where you started the search so we are on the
same 'page' and can make improvements ?

In addition, in the configuration guide we have a pointer
draft-ietf-isis-3way-03.txt, Three-Way Handshake for
IS-IS Point-to-Point Adjacencies. This will explain you
what a 3-way-handshake is all about. We do this sort of
handshake since a long time ago. I would encourage you to
create a case with juniper@support.net along with the
tracing-options hello detail enabled and then it should
and will be pretty clear what's going on or at least why
this error is logged.

thank you
Josef

Strange log IS-IS messages. [ In reply to ]
Hi Ender,

Can you tell me whether you were using the regular or the advanced
search engine, and what string you searched on?

BTW, I entered RPD_ISIS_ADJDOWN in the advanced search engine and got
direct links to the documentation. For JUNOS 6.1, see
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/
syslog-messages61/html/rpd9.html

Thanks,
..Aviva

In message <200311190859.49206.david.martinez@rediris.es>you write:

Strange log IS-IS messages. [ In reply to ]

El Mi?rcoles, 19 de Noviembre de 2003 16:15, Aviva Garrett escribi?:
> Hi Ender,
>
> Can you tell me whether you were using the regular or the advanced
> search engine, and what string you searched on?

I tried both.

> BTW, I entered RPD_ISIS_ADJDOWN in the advanced search engine and got
> direct links to the documentation. For JUNOS 6.1, see
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos61/
> syslog-messages61/html/rpd9.html

Frankly, I didn't tried RPD_ISIS_ADJDOWN, I decided to try "3-Way Handshake
Failed" (the second string from the error).

What annoys me is that the search engine returns:

Document count: Handshake (541) Failed (328) 3-Way Handshake... (19)

First: why the 5 first results have neither "3-way" or "handshake"? Only a
lot of "failed". If I try a multiword search, is because I want *all* the
words. Maybe we all are used to Google, but I don't think it is absurd to
filter first for the three words.

Anyway, I suppposed that in your website would exist a catalog 'a la' Cisco
with all the possible error messages.

Then I should not worry at all with this error?

Thanks,

Ender.