routers, is the Tunnel Services PIC required or recommended?

thanks
bill
GRE tunnel requires PIC? [ In reply to ]
yes It's need Tunnel Services PIC
----- Original Message -----
From: "billp" <billp@wjp.net>
To: <juniper-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 12:56 PM
Subject: [j-nsp] GRE tunnel requires PIC?

GRE tunnel requires PIC? [ In reply to ]
:: I have been unable to find this in the documentation explicitly.
::
:: If I wish to configure a GRE (IP) tunnel between two Juniper
:: routers, is the Tunnel Services PIC required or recommended?

It's required. If you want to do GRE, you need either the Tunnel Services
PIC or the new Adaptive Services PIC.

-igor
GRE tunnel requires PIC? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:56:52PM -0700, billp wrote:
> I have been unable to find this in the documentation explicitly.
>
> If I wish to configure a GRE (IP) tunnel between two Juniper
> routers, is the Tunnel Services PIC required or recommended?

Without the tunnel services PIC, the only component which can do tunneling
is the routing engine. Without a tunnel pic you can still configure
tunneling, and it will work if you want to tunnel out the fxp0, but since
Juniper turned off the PFE->re forwarding (to stop people from trying to
route with the fxp0 I guess) you can't do it if it involves sending the
packet over the normal hardware. Personally I think it is a shame that you
can't do 64Kbps of v6-in-v4 tunneling without having to buy a tunnel pic
because some twits called for support on their fxp0 routing configuration,
but when has useful functionality and easing the adoption of a new
protocol ever stopped a router vendor before. :)

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
GRE tunnel requires PIC? [ In reply to ]
Routing transit traffic over fxp0 is dangerous because it can generate a
lot of traffic over the internal PFE/RE link (fxp1).

While a TS PIC is not free, I believe that Juniper felt it was better to
pay more for being able to turn on services without the possibility of
impacting existing services and routing protocol convergence/stability.

GRE tunnel requires PIC? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 10:50:12AM -0700, harry wrote:
> Routing transit traffic over fxp0 is dangerous because it can generate a
> lot of traffic over the internal PFE/RE link (fxp1).
>
> While a TS PIC is not free, I believe that Juniper felt it was better to
> pay more for being able to turn on services without the possibility of
> impacting existing services and routing protocol convergence/stability.

Last I looked, the risks I was willing to take on my network by enabling
or disabling certain features was my choice, not my vendors'. :)

Besides, that's nonsense... You run the risk of having the fxp1 link
filled by DoS if you choose not to place filters and policers on your lo0,
you could easily do the same to limit v6-in-v4 tunnel traffic to small
amounts.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras