Hi,

Any help on the following would be very much appreciated:

We have a bunch of gigabit ethernet links on which we receive DSL traffic from our DSL provider. We also want to run a DSL testnetwork over these same links. The traffic from this testnetwork needs to be routed somewhere else than the normal traffic.

Given that we cannot change anything on the router we get the traffic from (not our machine), so no vpn, vlan, tunnel, mpls or such, is there any way to do a sort of source routing thing?

Basically we need to route the existing DSL traffic normally and we want the testenvironment traffic routed somewhere else, based on the 172.16.x.x source address that the packets will have.

As mentioned in the subject, the router in question is an M160 with Junos 5.5R2.3.

Thanks,

Jeroen
Source based routing on m160 with Junos 5.5R2.3 [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeroen,

Policy Based Routing is called FBF (Filter Based Forwarding) in the Juniper
world,
check this out,
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos55/swconfig55-routing/ht
ml/instance-config13.html#1014931

Cheers,

Nicolas.

# Any help on the following would be very much appreciated:
#
# _______________________________________________
#
Source based routing on m160 with Junos 5.5R2.3 [ In reply to ]
Assuming I read correctly that you own the M160 in the scenario :
You could set up differnet routing instances locally and use Filter based forwarding to forward traffic in your local router based on source address.

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos55/swconfig55-policy/html/firewall-config21.html

/Ronan

Source based routing on m160 with Junos 5.5R2.3 [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the tips/links in response to my previous question!

Another question in line of the same subject:

Is there a way to send routes acquired through BGP into a specific routing table? As in, put all the 172.16/8 routes into FBF_Routing_Table and use this table for all interfaces that get 172.16/8 traffic so it gets completely separate from and independant of 'normal' business.

It's at time like this you start pushing company management to invest in an M5 for a lab :-)

Greetings,

Jeroen
Source based routing on m160 with Junos 5.5R2.3 [ In reply to ]
In the new routing instance, use a BGP import policy which matches the
BGP routes that you want installed into that routing instance's table.
You might also want to exclude those routes in your BGP import policy
for your inet.0 main routing table.

You still need to do FBF incoming on your interfaces to direct the
packets to/from 172.16/12 (assumption) to the correct routing-instance.

Regards,
Lars

Source based routing on m160 with Junos 5.5R2.3 [ In reply to ]
J.Veen@Planettechnologies.nl (Jeroen Veen) writes:

> Thanks for all the tips/links in response to my previous question!
>
> Another question in line of the same subject:
>
> Is there a way to send routes acquired through BGP into a specific routing table? As in, put all the 172.16/8 routes into FBF_Routing_Table and use this table for all interfaces that get 172.16/8 traffic so it gets completely separate from and independant of 'normal' business.

There are several ways...

You can do that by configuring a rib-group w/ tables that you want to
receive those routes and an rib-group import policy that selects which
routes get imported where. The rib-group can then be applyed to
'protocols bgp group <x> family inet unicast rib-group'...

Or you can try using the 'instance-import' and 'instance-export'
commands which define policies to distribute routes between instances.

Pedro.