--=20
Richard A Steenbergen <ras@e-gerbil.net> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
PGP Key ID: 0x138EA177 (67 29 D7 BC E8 18 3E DA B2 46 B3 D8 14 36 FE B6)
Unusable Path? [ In reply to ]
Richard,
According with what I read I'd say the the next-hop is not reachable
(pingable).

Thanks
German

Unusable Path? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 04:56:35PM -0400, German Martinez wrote:
> Richard,
> According with what I read I'd say the the next-hop is not reachable
> (pingable).

Well, I once had a slew of routes with this inactive reason on an
otherwise perfectly normal transit feed from a Crisco where the next-hop
was fine (both normally and with next-hop peer-address), but I didn't get
around to asking about this before it went away, so lets stick with an
invalid nexthop as the reason for the moment.

I'm puzzled why I cannot manually set the next-hop on BGP routes being
imported with a policy-statement. When something simple is applied, like
"then next-hop x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the perfectly reachable directly
connected next-hop, the route becomes hidden with "Unusable Path" and
"Unusable nexthop".

Next hop type: Unusable
State: <Hidden Ext>
Inactive reason: Unusable path

This is something you can do w/Cisco obviously, and it has been reported
to me that it can be done on Junos 5.0, but I have been unable to do it
with JunOS 5.2-5.4. And no it's not to point next-hop at peers, I have a
legitimate reason. :)

Unusable Path? [ In reply to ]
Is the bgp next-hop known via a "next-hop" that is not directly connected?
In earlier versions of JUNOS, you could not recurse more than once.

Unusable Path? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 11:21:52PM -0400, Martin, Christian wrote:
> Is the bgp next-hop known via a "next-hop" that is not directly connected?
> In earlier versions of JUNOS, you could not recurse more than once.

It is indeed directly connected. You can even see it in a show pfe
next-hop. Am I to understand that other people actually have this working?