Mailing List Archive

IPv6 plan for multisite corporate
Hi,
one of my customer is a US corporate with offices literally on 5 continents and
one datacentre. Offices are connected each other and to the datacentrevia MPLS,
each office accesses the Internet via local ISP.

Since they asked me to start planning for IPv6, my idea was originally to buy a
netblock from ARIN (maybe a /40) and use it for the offices (each office has
many different IPv4 networks).

My concern is: if I buy a netblock from ARIN and use it in every office, how can
I handle the access to local ISP?

I thing I should NAT the netblock of each office to handle the routing, or is
there some other way to do so?

Thanks!

--

Ciao,
luigi

/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--
\

Air conditioned environment.
Do not open Windows!
Re: IPv6 plan for multisite corporate [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 21 May 2018, Luigi Rosa wrote:

> Hi,
> one of my customer is a US corporate with offices literally on 5 continents
> and one datacentre. Offices are connected each other and to the datacentrevia
> MPLS, each office accesses the Internet via local ISP.
>
> Since they asked me to start planning for IPv6, my idea was originally to buy
> a netblock from ARIN (maybe a /40) and use it for the offices (each office
> has many different IPv4 networks).
>
> My concern is: if I buy a netblock from ARIN and use it in every office, how
> can I handle the access to local ISP?
>
> I thing I should NAT the netblock of each office to handle the routing, or is
> there some other way to do so?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-06
might be relevant to your requirements.

If you feel you must perform NAT, make sure you do 1:1 NAT and not 1:N NAT
(ie, create a solution where each internal IPv6 address gets a unique
external address so you avoid all the port translations).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@swm.pp.se
Re: IPv6 plan for multisite corporate [ In reply to ]
Mikael Abrahamsson wrote on 21/05/2018 07:59:

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-06 might
> be relevant to your requirements.

This is a great starting point, thank you!

For sure I will do 1:1 NAT if I will have do go with NPTv6.

--

Ciao,
luigi

/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--
\

AI hackers do it with robots.
Re: IPv6 plan for multisite corporate [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 21 May 2018 at 14:59, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2018, Luigi Rosa wrote:

> > Hi,
> > one of my customer is a US corporate with offices literally on 5
continents
> > and one datacentre. Offices are connected each other and to the
datacentrevia
> > MPLS, each office accesses the Internet via local ISP.
> >
> > Since they asked me to start planning for IPv6, my idea was originally
to buy
> > a netblock from ARIN (maybe a /40) and use it for the offices (each
office
> > has many different IPv4 networks).
> >
> > My concern is: if I buy a netblock from ARIN and use it in every
office, how
> > can I handle the access to local ISP?
> >
> > I thing I should NAT the netblock of each office to handle the routing,
or is
> > there some other way to do so?

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtgwg-enterprise-pa-multihoming-06
> might be relevant to your requirements.

> If you feel you must perform NAT, make sure you do 1:1 NAT and not 1:N NAT
> (ie, create a solution where each internal IPv6 address gets a unique
> external address so you avoid all the port translations).

Please don't do NAT. You're just moving a ton of pain onto application
developers.
Re: IPv6 plan for multisite corporate [ In reply to ]
Erik Kline wrote on 21/05/2018 08:13:

> Please don't do NAT. You're just moving a ton of pain onto application
> developers.

I would very much like to avoid NAT, what I am looking for is a technology or
feature that allows me to avoid NAT. Also because the developers share their
pain withh the SysAdmin :-)

Personaly I hate NAT, I started to use Inthernet when there was no NAT.

--

Ciao,
luigi

/
+--[Luigi Rosa]--
\

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.