Mailing List Archive

high v6 user-base, less atlas probes
Hello,

Here is a list of top 20 countries that have a large v6 user-base [*] but are
underrepresented by RIPE Atlas due to less number of deployed dual-stacked
probes. Consider hosting a dual-stacked probe in these regions to help remove
the region-based bias that v6 studies using RIPE Atlas may otherwise have:

Full paper available here: http://goo.gl/hWGveA (§4)

+----+------------+-----------|
| CC | v6 Users | v6 Probes |
|-----+----+------------+-----------|
| 01 | BE | 56.48 % | 2.82 % |
| 02 | LU | 35.23 % | 0.61 % |
| 03 | GR | 33.66 % | 1.39 % |
| 04 | CH | 33.48 % | 3.82 % |
| 05 | PT | 29.01 % | 0.74 % |
| 06 | IN | 22.25 % | 0.09 % |
| 07 | US | 33.00 % | 13.21 % |
| 08 | DE | 40.07 % | 21.25 % |
| 09 | EC | 18.76 % | 0.04 % |
| 10 | JP | 19.69 % | 1.35 % |
| 11 | GB | 24.63 % | 7.00 % |
| 12 | EE | 16.55 % | 0.26 % |
| 13 | CA | 17.83 % | 1.91 % |
| 14 | FI | 16.68 % | 1.39 % |
| 15 | MY | 14.90 % | 0.13 % |
| 16 | IE | 13.22 % | 0.87 % |
| 17 | NO | 14.02 % | 1.83 % |
| 18 | BR | 12.56 % | 0.83 % |
| 19 | AU | 12.76 % | 1.09 % |
|-----+----+------------+-----------|

[*] The estimation of number of IPv6 users is taken from APNIC dataset:
http://labs.apnic.net/dists/v6dcc.html

-- Vaibhav

--------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com

Postdoctoral Researcher
TU Munich, Germany
--------------------------
Re: high v6 user-base, less atlas probes [ In reply to ]
On 2017-01-28 13:51, Bajpai, Vaibhav wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is a list of top 20 countries that have a large v6 user-base [*] but are
> underrepresented by RIPE Atlas due to less number of deployed dual-stacked
> probes. Consider hosting a dual-stacked probe in these regions to help remove
> the region-based bias that v6 studies using RIPE Atlas may otherwise have:
>
> Full paper available here: http://goo.gl/hWGveA (§4)
>
> +----+------------+-----------|
> | CC | v6 Users | v6 Probes |
> |-----+----+------------+-----------|
> | 01 | BE | 56.48 % | 2.82 % |
> | 02 | LU | 35.23 % | 0.61 % |
> | 03 | GR | 33.66 % | 1.39 % |
> | 04 | CH | 33.48 % | 3.82 % |

Would be useful to detail which ASNs these users are supposed to live in
and state if that ASN has probes or not...

Or otherwise said: instead of doing per-country, you might just want to
single out the ASNs where you are "missing" probes...

One approach, especially in Europe and the rest of RIPE NCC country: ask
every LIR / ASN to run at least a probe (and not from their datacenter,
but from a enduser connection ;) )

Greets,
Jeroen
Re: high v6 user-base, less atlas probes [ In reply to ]
> On 28. Jan 2017, at 14:54, Jeroen Massar <jeroen@massar.ch> wrote:
>
> On 2017-01-28 13:51, Bajpai, Vaibhav wrote:
>
>> Here is a list of top 20 countries that have a large v6 user-base [*] but are
>> underrepresented by RIPE Atlas due to less number of deployed dual-stacked
>> probes. Consider hosting a dual-stacked probe in these regions to help remove
>> the region-based bias that v6 studies using RIPE Atlas may otherwise have:
>>
>> Full paper available here: http://goo.gl/hWGveA (§4)
>>
>> +----+------------+-----------|
>> | CC | v6 Users | v6 Probes |
>> |-----+----+------------+-----------|
>> | 01 | BE | 56.48 % | 2.82 % |
>> | 02 | LU | 35.23 % | 0.61 % |
>> | 03 | GR | 33.66 % | 1.39 % |
>> | 04 | CH | 33.48 % | 3.82 % |
>
> Would be useful to detail which ASNs these users are supposed to live in
> and state if that ASN has probes or not...
>
> Or otherwise said: instead of doing per-country, you might just want to
> single out the ASNs where you are "missing" probes…

Yes, paper (see §5) touches on this bit.

Here is the complete list of _dual-stacked_ RIPE Atlas probes by ASN:
http://goo.gl/bR5JEd.

In order to redo the delta comparison I would need v6 user population
numbers by ASN; I am not sure if this data is publicly available.

-- Vaibhav

> One approach, especially in Europe and the rest of RIPE NCC country: ask
> every LIR / ASN to run at least a probe (and not from their datacenter,
> but from a enduser connection ;) )
>

> Greets,
> Jeroen

--------------------------
Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com

Postdoctoral Researcher
TU Munich, Germany
--------------------------
Re: high v6 user-base, less atlas probes [ In reply to ]
> On 29 Jan 2017, at 13:58, Bajpai, Vaibhav <vaibhav.bajpai@tum.de> wrote:
>
> Yes, paper (see §5) touches on this bit.
>
> Here is the complete list of _dual-stacked_ RIPE Atlas probes by ASN:
> http://goo.gl/bR5JEd <http://goo.gl/bR5JEd>.
>
> In order to redo the delta comparison I would need v6 user population
> numbers by ASN; I am not sure if this data is publicly available.
>
> — Vaibhav

V6 user population by ASN estimates by APNIC

https://stats.labs.apnic.net/v6pop <https://stats.labs.apnic.net/v6pop>

Ross
Re: high v6 user-base, less atlas probes [ In reply to ]
> On 29. Jan 2017, at 19:12, Ross Chandler <ross@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>> On 29 Jan 2017, at 13:58, Bajpai, Vaibhav <vaibhav.bajpai@tum.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, paper (see §5) touches on this bit.
>>
>> Here is the complete list of _dual-stacked_ RIPE Atlas probes by ASN:
>> http://goo.gl/bR5JEd.
>>
>> In order to redo the delta comparison I would need v6 user population
>> numbers by ASN; I am not sure if this data is publicly available.
>
> V6 user population by ASN estimates by APNIC
> https://stats.labs.apnic.net/v6pop

This is nice! I will redo this by ASN and get back

> Ross

-- Vaibhav

Vaibhav Bajpai
www.vaibhavbajpai.com