Mailing List Archive

pxe boot for ipv6 only machine not working on vmware
Hi All,

We have a case to install machine with ipv6 only using pxe boot.
Using ISC dhcpv6 server and configured dhcpd6.conf as below

Dhcpd6.conf

default-lease-time 2592000;
preferred-lifetime 604800;
option dhcp-renewal-time 3600;
option dhcp-rebinding-time 7200;
allow leasequery;
option dhcp6.name-servers 3ffe:501:ffff:100:200:ff:fe00:3f3e;
option dhcp6.domain-search "test.example.com","example.com";
option dhcp6.bootfile-url code 59 = string;
option dhcp6.bootfile-url "tftp://[2a00:8a00:a000:1006::a3f:1fe4]/pxelinux.0";

subnet6 2a00:8a00:a000:1006::/64 {
range6 2a00:8a00:a000:1006::1 2a00:8a00:a000:1006::ffff:ffff;
range6 2a00:8a00:a000:1006::/64 temporary;
prefix6 2a00:8a00:a000:1006:: 2a00:8a00:a000:10f6::/64;

host ipv6host {
hardware ethernet 00:50:56:87:1c:70;
fixed-address6 2a00:8a00:a000:1006::a3f:1fe9;
}
}

Stopped iptables/ip6tables

System is supporting ipv6
sysctl -a | grep disable | grep ipv6
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 0
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 0
net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 0
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 0

After rebooting client machine , it is unable to discover the dhcp ip of server.

Could anyone point out any mistake in the configuration .

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Shilpa
Re: pxe boot for ipv6 only machine not working on vmware [ In reply to ]
Hi Shilpa,

"S, Shilpashree 1. (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <shilpashree.1.s@nokia.com>
writes:

> We have a case to install machine with ipv6 only using pxe boot.

bad news for you: PXE as per the Intel specs is IPv4 only. Intel wants
people to move from BIOS (and as such, PXE as a BIOS extension) to UEFI
and has shown absolutely no intention to add IPv4 support to PXE.

Your options are

- to use UEFI with a suitable module to boot via IPv6, which pretty
much defeats your use case for PXE to install the machine,

- to use IPv4 to set up the machine, possibly in an installation-only
VLAN, or,

- to forget about network based install and use IPMI or similar to
install from an ISO image used through a "virtual DVD drive".

None of these options are particularly enticing, and yes, I've been
rather frustrated by that myself, and more than once.

Cheers,

Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand, Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform. http://www.stepladder-it.com/

Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/
Re: pxe boot for ipv6 only machine not working on vmware [ In reply to ]
On 2016-07-01 13:41, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Hi Shilpa,
>
> "S, Shilpashree 1. (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <shilpashree.1.s@nokia.com>
> writes:
>
>> We have a case to install machine with ipv6 only using pxe boot.
>
> bad news for you: PXE as per the Intel specs is IPv4 only. Intel wants
> people to move from BIOS (and as such, PXE as a BIOS extension) to UEFI
> and has shown absolutely no intention to add IPv4 support to PXE.
>
> Your options are
>
> - to use UEFI with a suitable module to boot via IPv6, which pretty
> much defeats your use case for PXE to install the machine,

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UEFI/SecureBoot-PXE-IPv6

Similar instructions have worked as a charm for years already....

Greets,
Jeroen
Re: pxe boot for ipv6 only machine not working on vmware [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeroen, Shilpa, list,

Jeroen Massar <jeroen@massar.ch> writes:

> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UEFI/SecureBoot-PXE-IPv6
>
> Similar instructions have worked as a charm for years already....

hmm, unless I've got something *really* wrong that requires that a
suitable module is installed in the UEFI partition. If it's
preinstalled by default these days, then yes, it should work. But with
a new hard disk that wasn't bundled with the machine at hand, how would
that work? Or have people at Intel changed their minds and added net
boot capabilities to the firmware by now?

Cheers,

Benedikt

Re: pxe boot for ipv6 only machine not working on vmware [ In reply to ]
On 2016-07-01 15:06, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
> Jeroen Massar <jeroen@massar.ch> writes:
>> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/UEFI/SecureBoot-PXE-IPv6
>> Similar instructions have worked as a charm for years already....
> hmm, unless I've got something *really* wrong that requires that a
> suitable module is installed in the UEFI partition. If it's
> preinstalled by default these days, then yes, it should work. But with
> a new hard disk that wasn't bundled with the machine at hand, how would
> that work? Or have people at Intel changed their minds and added net
> boot capabilities to the firmware by now?

Of course UEFI has netboot capabilities in the firmware.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern