Mailing List Archive

why don't we start an ipv6 smtp server whitelist?
hello,

it's a silly and broken idea, but I'd like to brainstorm it on the list
to see if it may be improved or aborted.

1) ipv6 is only little deployed on smtp server (compared to ipv4) and
postamasters runnning ipv6 on their server are usually less passive than
ipv4-only postamster introducing new features.

2) we need to do many magic to make (ipv6) smtp delivery works
(configure PTR, spk, dkim, dmarc, reputation and also follow the big
mail providers guidelines)

3) spam is a problem

..so, why don't spamhaus or some other well-known email related
community don't start an ipv6 mail servers whitelist trying to take
onboard gmail, yahoo, aol, microsoft, and other big mail provider?

for postmasters it will be only one more little work to do (subscribe
MTAs to the whitelist), but it will also help them having servers with a
better score on antispams and it will push the ipv6 deployment (if my
servers has ipv6 I may be whitelisted and have a better score, so I have
a plus running ipv6)

ok, now write me all the bugs in this idea :)

--
saluti,
emilio brambilla
Re: why don't we start an ipv6 smtp server whitelist? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> ..so, why don't spamhaus or some other well-known email related community don't start an ipv6 mail servers whitelist trying to take onboard gmail, yahoo, aol, microsoft, and other big mail provider?
>
> for postmasters it will be only one more little work to do (subscribe MTAs to the whitelist), but it will also help them having servers with a better score on antispams and it will push the ipv6 deployment (if my servers has ipv6 I may be whitelisted and have a better score, so I have a plus running ipv6)
>
> ok, now write me all the bugs in this idea :)

Something similar has already been tried: http://www.ipv6whitelist.eu
That attempt has failed, but you might be able to learn from their experience.

Cheers,
Sander
Re: why don't we start an ipv6 smtp server whitelist? [ In reply to ]
On Aug 25, emilio brambilla <emilio@ngi.it> wrote:

> ..so, why don't spamhaus or some other well-known email related community
> don't start an ipv6 mail servers whitelist trying to take onboard gmail,
> yahoo, aol, microsoft, and other big mail provider?
Because they tried for IPv4 and it failed. Also, does not scale.

--
ciao,
Marco