Mailing List Archive

Windows 7 Prefix Policy Quirks
Hello,

I'm trying to implement consistent client prefix policies and also adhere to
RFC 6724. Windows 8/8.1 come this way by default. However, Windows Vista/7
follow the older RFC 3484 rules. To update Windows Vista/7 I came up with a
simple script. The issue is, I can't get Windows 7 to take the policy for
the deprecated site-local prefix (fec0::/10):

netsh int ipv6 add prefixpolicy fec0::/10 1 11

netsh int ipv6 show pre

(.)

1 11 fe00::/10

>From experimentation, it seems to ignore anything after the first 8 bits.
The only way I can get it to accept fec0 is if I enter "fec0::/16" which
obviously isn't what I want. It's almost like the prefix policies have to
be a multiple of 8 bits.

I could have sworn this worked before but for the life of me I can't get it
to work now. I had a few other people try it to see if I'm doing something
silly but same results. Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Jim