Mailing List Archive

Brocade FCX Stack Issue
Dear Team,
We have around 300 FCX HPOE switches in a campus network. All of
them are stacks. After upgrading to 7.4f we have seen a lot of stack sync
issues. The standby unit in all the cases seems to be the source of the
problem. Rebooting the stack causes the standby unit to go unresponsive
unless the unit is hard rebooted. The show stack connection command shows
the following.

sh stack connection

Probing the topology. Please wait ...

telnet@SW1-XXX#

active standby

+---+ +---+

-2/1| 1 |2/2--2/1| 2 |2/2-

| +---+ +---+ |

| |

|------------------------|

**** Error! there should be 2 links, but 0.*

**** Error! no CPU to CPU: u1 -x- u2,*

From another switch

active standby
+---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
-2/1| 1 |2/2--2/1| 2 |2/2--2/1| 3 |2/2--2/1| 4 |2/2--2/1| 5 |2/2--2/1| 6
|2/2-
| +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
+---+ |

+---+ |
------------------------------------------------------------------2/2| 7
|2/1-
+---+

*** Error! should have 7 links, but 5: missing u2-u3, u3-u4, .
Link 1: u7 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/1 (P0) <---> 7/2/2 (P1)
Link 2: u2 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/2 (P1) <---> 2/2/1 (P0)
Link 3: u5 -- u4, num=1
1: 4/2/2 (P1) <---> 5/2/1 (P0)
Link 4: u6 -- u5, num=1
1: 5/2/2 (P1) <---> 6/2/1 (P0)
Link 5: u7 -- u6, num=1
1: 6/2/2 (P1) <---> 7/2/1 (P0)
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u1 -x- u3,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u2 -x- u3,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u4,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u5,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u6,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u7,

Anyone has seen this before? I'm working with the TAC but they seem to be
clueless as of now.

BR
Salman
Re: Brocade FCX Stack Issue [ In reply to ]
Salman,

For FCX (and ICX6610 unless you need mixed family stacking) you should
stick to the 7.3.0 code train. I recommend going to 7.3.0h. 7.3.0j is
newer, however I had stack communication issues with it (just like you're
seeing with 7.4f).

--Jon (works for Brocade)

Re: Brocade FCX Stack Issue [ In reply to ]
On 05/06/2014 12:58, Jon Maiman wrote:
> For FCX (and ICX6610 unless you need mixed family stacking) you should
> stick to the 7.3.0 code train. I recommend going to 7.3.0h.

I'm seeing some bad memory leak issues on 7.3.00h which weren't present in
7.3.00d (on ti-x24 not fcx, so ymmv). Not sure which exact version they
appeared, but am losing ~5% memory per week on affected boxes. Haven't
found the root cause yet, but suspect snmp polling.

Also, all versions of 7.3 and 7.4 leak about 4k of memory every time you
run nagios check_ssh against them. This is fixed in 8.x and there are
plans to fix it in 7.4.00h, but not 7.3.

Nick

Re: Brocade FCX Stack Issue [ In reply to ]
We have FCX HPOE switches with fcxs07400b and all are working fine sinc last 2 year.

Are you booting from layer 2 or 3.

#
active standby
+---+ +---+ +---+
-2/1| 1 |2/2--2/1| 3 |2/2--2/1| 2 |2/2-
| +---+ +---+ +---+ |
| |
|-------------------------------------|

trunk probe results: 3 links
Link 1: u2 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/1 (P0) <---> 2/2/2 (P1)
Link 2: u3 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/2 (P1) <---> 3/2/1 (P0)
Link 3: u3 -- u2, num=1
1: 2/2/1 (P0) <---> 3/2/2 (P1)
CPU to CPU packets are fine between 3 units.

#sh<mailto:SSH@ITD-3FLR-Stk2#sh> ver
Copyright (c) 1996-2012 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
UNIT 1: compiled on Oct 03 2012 at 08:19:10 labeled as FCXS07400b

Regards
Rajesh Singh,
ÑÇÌêÔ ÓæÌ
Sr. Network Engineer,
åçæÏÓ ÔÈãÇÊ Ãèä
Abu Dhabi Media
P.O. Box 114140, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Tel +971.2.41.44.901[X], Mob +971.50.66.26.412[X]

________________________________

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 5:26 AM, salman sadiq <salmanravian@gmail.com<mailto:salmanravian@gmail.com>> wrote:
Dear Team,
We have around 300 FCX HPOE switches in a campus network. All of them are stacks. After upgrading to 7.4f we have seen a lot of stack sync issues. The standby unit in all the cases seems to be the source of the problem. Rebooting the stack causes the standby unit to go unresponsive unless the unit is hard rebooted. The show stack connection command shows the following.

sh stack connection
Probing the topology. Please wait ...
telnet@SW1-XXX#
active standby
+---+ +---+
-2/1| 1 |2/2--2/1| 2 |2/2-
| +---+ +---+ |
| |
|------------------------|

*** Error! there should be 2 links, but 0.
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u1 -x- u2,

From another switch

active standby
+---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+
-2/1| 1 |2/2--2/1| 2 |2/2--2/1| 3 |2/2--2/1| 4 |2/2--2/1| 5 |2/2--2/1| 6 |2/2-
| +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ +---+ |
| |
| |
| +---+ |
------------------------------------------------------------------2/2| 7 |2/1-
+---+

*** Error! should have 7 links, but 5: missing u2-u3, u3-u4, .
Link 1: u7 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/1 (P0) <---> 7/2/2 (P1)
Link 2: u2 -- u1, num=1
1: 1/2/2 (P1) <---> 2/2/1 (P0)
Link 3: u5 -- u4, num=1
1: 4/2/2 (P1) <---> 5/2/1 (P0)
Link 4: u6 -- u5, num=1
1: 5/2/2 (P1) <---> 6/2/1 (P0)
Link 5: u7 -- u6, num=1
1: 6/2/2 (P1) <---> 7/2/1 (P0)
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u1 -x- u3,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u2 -x- u3,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u4,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u5,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u6,
*** Error! no CPU to CPU: u3 -x- u7,

Anyone has seen this before? I'm working with the TAC but they seem to be clueless as of now.

BR
Salman

DISCLAIMER
This message (including any attachments) is confidential and intended solely for the person or organization to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephoning or E-mailing the sender. This footnote also confirms that this E-mail message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.
Re: Brocade FCX Stack Issue [ In reply to ]
Nick,

We had issues with an SSH monitor as well.
Disabling that fixes the memory leak (1% mem e3xtra per day used)

-Ronald

Met vriendelijke groet,
With kind regards,

Ronald Esveld
senior network engineer

Qi ict

Delftechpark 35-37
Postbus 402, 2600 AK Delft

T : +31 15 888 0 444
F : +31 15 888 0 445
E : mailto:ronald.esveld@qi.nl

Re: Brocade FCX Stack Issue [ In reply to ]
Hi,
We were 7.2d and 7.4d before the upgrade. The reason for upgrade was dhcp
snooping bug in 7.4f pre releases. Due to this bug the switch with DHCP
Snooping enabled drops type 4 dhcp packets on untrusted ports. Hence any
client trying to send a dhcp decline to the dhcp server, in our case as a
result of duplicate ip assigment, fails. Thus the DHCP cannot detect a
duplicate IP resulting in the poor client stuck with an ip that it cannot
utilize. The client eventually sends a discover again and the DHCP server
keeps offering the same IP which is already on the network.

We are using the routing code. Have you seen memory leak on 7.4f as well?
The two problems I've seen on 7.4f are
stack sync issues
Arp table having a lot of entries in "Pending" state.

BR
Salman