Mailing List Archive

Web GUI on CES machines?
Hi all--

Tried to set up a Web GUI access on a NetIron CES, and I'm not having much luck. Commands like web-management enable and aaa authentication web-server aren't there (on version 5.500d). The documentation hasn't been terribly helpful. The config guide says Web GUI isn't supported, but the data sheet (http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/brocade-netiron-ces-2000-ds.pdf) says it is. Is the Web GUI absent from these devices?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

--Dave Peters

Re: Web GUI on CES machines? [ In reply to ]
Brocade removed the web interface from a variety of products... probably
focusing development on BNA.

Re: Web GUI on CES machines? [ In reply to ]
Hi Dave,
We have removed the web UI from of our campus switches when we released FI 8.0 code. We needed to retool the backend web server and modernize it, but I think we still have the basic “front panel” view in place while we do that. I don’t think we ever released a web GUI for the CES and CER routers though, so we’ve always tried to replicate that function with BNA. That data sheet is probably incorrect. We still have the basic web gui for the chassis MLX router, but I don’t think we operated that over to the CES & CER code when we were developing that box. Interestingly, the CES has more in common with the MLX than it does with our ICX campus switches. I’ll send a note to check into this some more.

On a separate issue, we’ve had internal conversations on what we should do with the web GUI. Most of the customers I work with want to work in CLI and don’t even leverage our own BNA or 3rd party tools. This is different from our Army customers who like the ability of seeing a graphic to quickly get a feel for what type of switch they are working with (an Army base may have several hundred switches deployed in a single base).

From an “ops” standpoint, what use cases do you see the Web GUI being leveraged for? Day to day monitoring and O&M, or deeper troubleshooting? I’ll forward along any feedback to the PM team who is looking at our management tools.

BTW…the free version of BNA (BNA Pro) should be able to do some basic management of the CES if you are looking for an alternative to CLI.

Wilbur

Wilbur Smith
SE Ninja, Brocade
wilbur.k.smith@gmail.com
wsmith@brocade.com

Disclosure: While I am a Brocade employee, my participation in this community is a personal choice and not directed by my employer. And information or recommendation I provide are my own and not an official recommendation from Brocade. Sorry folks, just need to make sure you know I’m ‘doin this “off the clock”!