Mailing List Archive

VRRP problem
I am trying to get VRRP (not VRRP-extended) working between two BigIron
8k's. It appears they aren't seeing each other and both become master, thus
cause an IP conflict etc. I'm new to Foundry so hopefully I'm not missing
something simple.

One is running version 07.0.10T53 the other is 07.1.24T53.

The two swtiches are functioning as layer3 switches and have very simple
conifgurations. Access ports, some trunking with vlan-tagged ports linked
to some access layer2 switches. One is the STP root, the other is
the secondary root. No QOS. All routing is static, no dynamic protocols.
Each switch has 5x layer3 ve interfaces. The two switches are connected
together by with two seperate 2x gig-e trunks with vlan-tagging. I am able
to ping all layer3 interfaces from each switch as well as connect to both
via telnet remotely, which indicates to me that the trunking and
vlan-tagging is working correctly.

The config looked like this (switch-1 is supposed to be the master, switch-2
is supposed to be the backup)

switch-1#sho ip vrrp
Total number of VRRP routers defined: 1
Interface ethernet v3
auth-type no authentication
VRID 3
state master
administrative-status enabled
mode owner
priority 255
current priority 255
hello-interval 1 sec
ip-address 192.168.101.2
advertise backup: disabled
backup routers 192.168.101.45
switch-1#

switch-1#show run
--SNIP--
!
interface ve 3
ip address 192.168.101.2 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 1 192.168.100.40
ip vrrp vrid 3
owner
ip-address 192.168.101.2
activate
!
--SNIP--

switch-2#sho ip vrrp
Total number of VRRP routers defined: 1
Interface ethernet v3
auth-type no authentication
VRID 3
state master
administrative-status enabled
mode non-owner(backup)
priority 100
current priority 100
hello-interval 1 sec
dead-interval 0 sec
current dead-interval 3.600 sec
preempt-mode true
ip-address 192.168.101.2
advertise backup: disabled
next hello sent in 00:00:00
switch-2#

switch-2#show run
--SNIP--
!
interface ve 3
ip address 192.168.101.45 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 1 192.168.100.40
ip vrrp vrid 3
backup
ip-address 192.168.101.2
activate
!
--SNIP--
I tried pinging the VRRP hello multicast address from each switch and did
not get a response, I'm not sure if this is by design or if it's another
symptom.

Any thoughts on how to further debug the problem?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
VRRP problem [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Could you also provide vlan information where the router-interface ve3 is
applied on both sides?

-Brent

VRRP problem [ In reply to ]
Also, seems odd that Switch-2 has a dead-interval of 0, perhaps a nuance of
the particular code running on there. Try upping that dead interval to
something like 5 seconds.

VRRP problem [ In reply to ]
Wow, Too early, disregard dead-interval adjustment, check vlan config
instead and try using 'dm raw' command to watch for VRRP packets entering
the switch management CPU.

-Brent