Mailing List Archive

FES9604 Packets "Leaking"
I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been covered before.

We have a FES9604 Premium running Version 03.0.01eTc3

I have a situation where it appears that for some reason, the switch
starts flooding all traffic to all ports on a VLAN - both tagged and
untagged. It does this for a few seconds then stops.

I set up an untagged port on the particular VLAN in question (5), and
threw a PC with Ethereal on it. A couple of times a day, the port
appears to start forwarding packets that aren't destine for it (not
broadcast traffic), then stops.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? We've been trying to find
the source of these bursts for a while now, and are getting pretty
frustrated, so any help would be greatly appreciated :)

---
Clayton Zekelman
Managed Network Systems Inc. (MNSi)
344-300 Tecumseh Rd. E.
Windsor, Ontario
N8X 5E8

tel. 519-985-8410
fax. 519-258-3009

FES9604 Packets "Leaking" [ In reply to ]
* clayton at mnsi.net (Clayton Zekelman) [Thu 02 Feb 2006, 21:25 CET]:
>I have a situation where it appears that for some reason, the switch
>starts flooding all traffic to all ports on a VLAN - both tagged and
>untagged. It does this for a few seconds then stops.

All traffic, or only for selected destination MACs? Switches do that by
design when a MAC address has timed out from the MAC table. Or for all
traffic when someone does "clear mac", of course.

-- Niels.

FES9604 Packets "Leaking" [ In reply to ]
Also if the table is full it will act as a hub for any mac not in the table.