Mailing List Archive

SLB Question, Odd behavior
Greetings,

Here is a config sample prior to my explanation:

server virtual site.com 10.10.10.10
predictor least-sess
port default sticky
port ssl sticky
port http sticky
bind ssl www1.site.com ssl www2.site.com ssl
bind http www1.site.com http www2.site.com http

server real www1.site.com 10.1.1.10
max-conn 1200
port ssl
port http
port http url "HEAD /"
port http status_code 200 305
!
server real www2.site.com 10.1.1.11
max-conn 1200
port ssl
port http
port http url "HEAD /"
port http status_code 200 305

I can connect to SSL just fine, but not http. It just times out and
gives a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Direct requests to the real
servers via IP address work fine as well.

Here is a show server virtual:

Server Name: site.com IP : 10.10.10.10 : 1
Dynamic: No HTTP redirect: disabled
Intercept: No
ACL: id = 0
Sym: group = 1 state = 1 priority = 0 keep = 0 dyn
priority/factor = 0/ 0
Activates = 0, Inactive= 0
Port State Sticky Concur Proxy CurConn TotConn PeakConn

ssl enabled YES NO NO 0 4 2
http enabled YES NO NO 0 0 0
default enabled YES NO NO 0 0 0

As you can see ssl is taking connections just fine, but not http. I
have not had this problem before and within the last 2 weeks have
setup 2-3 additional sites on the SLB without a problem.

Any Ideas or Recommendations are welcome,

John S. Willingham
Re: SLB Question, Odd behavior [ In reply to ]
Can you please send a "show server real http <real server names>?

Em

Re: SLB Question, Odd behavior [ In reply to ]
1. You have symmetric configured. It has to be in
State 5(Active state) or in 3(Standby state). But it
is in state "1" which is not ok. You haven't
configured "sym-priority xx" - sh server virtual shows
"Priority=0". symmetric value has to be between
10-250.

2. One reason why ssl works and http fails could be
that http forward traffic goes through SI-A, return
traffic comes through SI-B. When you have Symmetric
configured, return traffic will fail because it is in
Standby state. If you have a chassis, then u can
configure "sym-act" under the VIP, so that both boxes
start processing traffic.

3Verify the default gateway for http servers. They
could be pointing to the SI that doesnot process the
traffic. Mirror in/out ports and see if forward and
return traffic flow through same SI.

4.Sometimes because of healthcheck, port state toggle,
go down and come up and repeating this. Verify log.

None of the above work, please send "sh server
virtual" and "sh server real" to fix it. Are u using a
chassis or stackable SI.

--ramesh

=====

Ramesh Pabbichetty
655 South Fairoaks Avenue
Apt#A-315
Sunnyvale CA 94086
Ph: 408-738-0149 home
408-941-7377 work

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
Re: SLB Question, Odd behavior [ In reply to ]
Here is the information you requested,

As I said, I have several working configurations attached to this
SLB, btw it is a stackable ServerIronXL, yet this one configuration
(which is identical to several others) is giving me issues.

Thanks for any Information,

-John
=============Begin Output from SLB=======================

Slot index 27
Real server name = www1.site.com, Real port Status = ACTIVE
Slot valid = TRUE IP: 10.1.1.10
Real port index = 40, Real port no = 80
Tcp request = 347851, Tcp response = 347849
Tcp response timeout = 2, Keepalive Enabled
HTTP URL = "HEAD /"
HTTP sent = 347842, Received ok = 347828
HTTP received error = 0, Receive timeout = 14
wait for response = FALSE, Status code = 200
Server close = 0, Current sent = 0
Bring port down = 0, Total retries = 16
TCP Round Trip Time = 7, Appl Round Trip Time = 25
Next slot index = 3

Slot index 28
Real server name = www2.site.com, Real port Status = ACTIVE
Slot valid = TRUE IP: 10.1.1.11
Real port index = 42, Real port no = 80
Tcp request = 346796, Tcp response = 346783
Tcp response timeout = 5, Keepalive Enabled
HTTP URL = "HEAD /"
HTTP sent = 346774, Received ok = 346757
HTTP received error = 0, Receive timeout = 17
wait for response = FALSE, Status code = 200
Server close = 3, Current sent = 0
Bring port down = 0, Total retries = 22
TCP Round Trip Time = 8, Appl Round Trip Time = 120
Next slot index = 27

Server Name: www.site.com IP : 10.10.10.10 : 1
Dynamic: No HTTP redirect: disabled
Intercept: No
ACL: id = 0
Sym: group = 1 state = 1 priority = 0 keep = 0 dyn
priority/factor = 0/ 0
Activates = 0, Inactive= 0
Port State Sticky Concur Proxy CurConn TotConn PeakConn

ssl enabled YES NO NO 0 5 2
http enabled YES NO NO 0 0 0
default enabled YES NO NO 0 0 0

Name : www1.site.com Mac-addr: 0030.482b.919e
IP:10.1.1.10 Range:1 State:Active Max-conn: 1200
Least-con Wt:0 Resp-time Wt:0

Port State Ms CurConn TotConn Rx-pkts Tx-pkts Rx-octet
Tx-octet Reas---- ----- -- ------- ------- ------- -------
-------- -------- ----
ssl active 6 0 12 350 266 374598 59249 0
http active 6 0 4075 49184 43291 51146299 6506357 0
default unbnd 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Server Total 0 4087 49534 43557 51520897 6565606 0

Name : www2.site.com Mac-addr: 0009.6b8c.f6ab
IP:10.1.1.11 Range:1 State:Active Max-conn: 1200
Least-con Wt:0 Resp-time Wt:0

Port State Ms CurConn TotConn Rx-pkts Tx-pkts Rx-octet
Tx-octet Reas---- ----- -- ------- ------- ------- -------
-------- -------- ----
ssl active 6 0 1 27 29 14185 10841 0
http active 6 0 1012 14783 14173 14603331 2345887 0
default unbnd 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Server Total 0 1013 14810 14202 14617516 2356728 0

Re: SLB Question, Odd behavior [ In reply to ]
Certainly nothing wrong with whether or not the SLB is seeing the
servers happily - they're all passing their healthchecks quite happily
(both tcp and http).

I'd suggest it comes down to something like routing? Default routes?
You could always try a packet capture on the SLB - don't know the
commands off the top of my head but you can do a relatively basic packet
capture and see what's going on. A packet capture on the server
probably wouldn't go astray either?

Cheers,
Em