coming off each server?
Thanks for any help/advice with this

-dave
load balancing question [ In reply to ]
Dave,

This should be possible with the no port-http-translate command under the
new VIP. You will have to create an extra line in your serveriron
configuration to define additional ports on the realservers and then bind
this new port on the second VIP you create.

server virt vip1
port 80
bind http rs1 http rs2 http

server virt vip2
port 80
no port http translate
bind http rs1 8080 rs2 8080

server real rs1
port 80
port 8080

server real rs2
port 80
port 8080

By adding that no port http translate command the VIP will just not
translate the destination port when it sends to the real server so it will
still come into port 80 on the realserver, then you can use some
combination of host header config to separate your sites.

-Brent

load balancing question [ In reply to ]
David Morehead <morehead@choopa.com> writes:

> Currently we have a ServerIronXL setup to provide load balancing for
> customers who request it. It is using a very straight forward
> configuration of 2 real server IPs bound to the 1 virtual IP. My
> question is: is it possible to bind those same 2 real servers to another
> virtual IP without adding additional IPs to the real servers? So we
> could have more than 1 load balanced site (with unique virtual IP)
> coming off each server?

No problem. Just configure additional "fake" ports on the real
servers and use

no port xx translate

on the virtual servers to avoid the serveriron translating the
application port to these "fake" ports

E.g.

server real w1 10.3.0.1
port http
port 5080
port 5081

server real w2 10.3.0.2
port http
port 5080
port 5081

server virtual v1 10.2.2.2
port http
bind http w1 http w2 http

server virtual v2 10.2.3.2
port http
bind http w1 5080 w2 5080
no port http translate

server virtual v3 10.2.4.2
port http
bind http w1 5081 w2 5081
no port http translate

etc.

See
http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/siug/ServerIron_Server_Load_Balancing.html#22178
for further explanations

You may or may not have to play around with health checking. I don't
remember...

Bj?rn