From: foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net
[mailto:foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Brent Van
Dussen
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:09 PM
To: Dan Norton; sweeks@sandiego.edu
Cc: foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
Subject: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems getting OSPF running

Maybe you need to have a router-id specified? That may only be for BGP
though, worth a shot ;)

ip router-id loop.back.add.ress

-Brent

[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
The cisco configs are plain vanilla, no authentication and they are all
using area 0.

I pulled a TCPdump from the interface that has the BigIron on it and the
LSAs are getting to it.

BGP was a snap to get working, wish this was the same.

Dan Norton
CCNA, MCP
Network Administrator
WareNet/SyncCast
dan@ware.net
dan@synccast.com
(949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
(888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
SMS: emergency@ware.net
aim: deveyn
WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation

"When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things
can turn into deadly projectiles."

[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
Did "sho ip ospf config" give you anything?

scott

:
: I pulled a TCPdump from the interface that has the BigIron on it and the
: LSAs are getting to it.
:
: BGP was a snap to get working, wish this was the same.
:
: Dan Norton
: CCNA, MCP
: Network Administrator
: WareNet/SyncCast
: dan@ware.net
: dan@synccast.com
: (949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: (888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: SMS: emergency@ware.net
: aim: deveyn
: WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
:
: "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things
: can turn into deadly projectiles."
:
:
:
: > No, I doubt that's the problem - it'll pick a router ID if it
: > isn't assigned one. That's worked for me (when I forgot to
: > assign the ID, LOL).
: >
: > _____________________________________________
: > Chris Moore
: > WAN Engineer
: > Guardian Mortgage Documents
: >
: > Maybe you need to have a router-id specified? That may only
: > be for BGP though, worth a shot ;)
: >
: > ip router-id loop.back.add.ress
: >
: > -Brent
: >
: >
: > At 08:58 AM 4/12/2004, Dan Norton wrote:
: > >Thanks, I tried that first actually and still no luck. It seems like
: > >I'm missing something. According to the foundry OSPF is running but
: > >it's not showing any LSAs received.
: > >
: > >Dan Norton
: > >Network Administrator
: > >
: > >WareNet
: > >dan@ware.net
: > >(949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: > >(888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: > >Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: > >WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: > >aim: deveyn
: > >
: > foundry-nsp mailing list
: > foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: >
: >
:
: foundry-nsp mailing list
: foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
:
[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
It's working now, but I'm not sure why.

I made only one change: I moved the connection to the network from
interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.

Here is my complete config:

ver 07.1.07T53
module 1 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
module 2 bi-8-port-gig-module
module 3 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
module 4 bi-24-port-copper-module
!
global-stp
global-protocol-vlan
!
!
vlan 1 name DEFAULT-VLAN by port
spanning-tree
!
!
aaa authentication enable default local enable
aaa authentication login default local
enable super-user-password .....
username user1 password .....
username user2 password .....
snmp-server community ..... ro
snmp-server community ..... rw
!
interface e 3/1
port-name Uplink to GX
route-only
ip address same.subnet.as.cisco.ospf.peers
ip ospf area 0.0.0.0
mon both
gig-default neg-off
!
interface e 3/2
port-name Uplink to 3508 Port 1
route-only
ip address same.subnet.as.bgp.peer
mon both
!
interface e 4/1
ip address same.subnet.as.cisco.ospf.peers
ip ospf area 0.0.0.0
ip ospf cost 1
!
!
!
router bgp
local-as nnnn
neighbor bgp.neighbor.1 remote-as nnnn
neighbor bgp.neighbor.2 remote-as nnnn
!
router ospf
area 0.0.0.0
!
!
!
end

[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
Good Morning Everyone!

: I made only one change: I moved the connection to the network from
: interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.

Well, the obvious difference is there is no route-only statement on e4/1.
On a brief look into foundrynet webpages, I can only find that this
disables layer 2 switching on the interface and to contact the SE.

Disables Layer 2 switching on an interface.
NOTE: Make sure you really want to disable all Layer 2 switching
operations on the interface before you use this option. Consult your
reseller or Foundry Networks for information.

Anyone got the full data set on what this exactly does WRT routing
protocols such as OSPF? Not so easy to find on foundrynet.com...

The other differences of "gig-default neg-off" and "ip ospf cost 1" should
make no difference as the "ip ospf cost 1" is the default for 100M and 1G
ports and the auto negotiation off only requires that you manually
configure both sides for gig and that seemed to be done as you saw packets
transferred back and forth.

Have you tried to put these statements on e3/1 one at a time?

scott

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Dan Norton wrote:

: It's working now, but I'm not sure why.
:
: I made only one change: I moved the connection to the network from
: interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.
:
: Here is my complete config:
:
: ver 07.1.07T53
: module 1 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: module 2 bi-8-port-gig-module
: module 3 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: module 4 bi-24-port-copper-module
: !
: global-stp
: global-protocol-vlan
: !
: !
[...]
: > :
: > : I pulled a TCPdump from the interface that has the BigIron
: > on it and the
: > : LSAs are getting to it.
: > :
: > : BGP was a snap to get working, wish this was the same.
: > :
: > : Dan Norton
: > : CCNA, MCP
: > : Network Administrator
: > : WareNet/SyncCast
: > : dan@ware.net
: > : dan@synccast.com
: > : (949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: > : (888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: > : Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: > : SMS: emergency@ware.net
: > : aim: deveyn
: > : WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: > :
: > : "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
: > trivial of things
: > : can turn into deadly projectiles."
: > :
: > :
: > :
: > : > Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:03 PM
: > : > To: foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: > : > Subject: RE: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems getting OSPF running
: > : >
: > : > _____________________________________________
[...]
: > : > >
: > : > >Dan Norton
: > : > >Network Administrator
: > : > >
: > : > >WareNet
: > : > >dan@ware.net
: > : > >(949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: > : > >(888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: > : > >Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: > : > >WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: > : > >aim: deveyn
: > : > >
: > : > _______________________________________________
: > : > foundry-nsp mailing list
: > : > foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: > : >
: > : >
: > :
: > : _______________________________________________
: > : foundry-nsp mailing list
: > : foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: > :
: >
: >
: >
:
[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
* sweeks@sandiego.edu (Scott Weeks) [Tue 13 Apr 2004, 17:08 CEST]:
[..]
> Well, the obvious difference is there is no route-only statement on e4/1.
> On a brief look into foundrynet webpages, I can only find that this
> disables layer 2 switching on the interface and to contact the SE.

Perhaps the "ospf area 0" statement should've been under the ve
interface, not on the switchport, in the original configuration.

-- Niels.

[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
First, thanks for keeping this going until we figure it out. I'm a mainly
cisco person and I want to get as good with Foundry. This type of
discussion helps.

: I don't think the "route-only" statement had anything to do with it...
: I had to use that statement because both 3/1 and 3/2 were on the same
: switch and one of them was put into blocking mode by spanning tree.

So, this is why the level 2 functionality had to be turned off, but what
is the impact to other protocols. That's what I had hoped to find out.

: OSPF was working prior to the route-only statement being added. I only
: added those afterwards because I plan be using this device as a router
: much more than a switch.

: : I made only one change: I moved the connection to the network from
: : interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.

Do you mean that OSPF was working when your connection was on the e4/1
interface before you turned on route-only? Did you test by adding the
statements to the now-working interface? Are you able to test? This
would be interesting information.

scott

[...]
: :
: : I made only one change: I moved the connection to the network from
: : interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.
: :
: : Here is my complete config:
: :
: : ver 07.1.07T53
: : module 1 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: : module 2 bi-8-port-gig-module
: : module 3 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: : module 4 bi-24-port-copper-module
: : !
: : global-stp
: : global-protocol-vlan
: : !
: : !
[...]
: : SMS: emergency@ware.net
: : aim: deveyn
: : WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: :
: : "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things
: : can turn into deadly projectiles."
: :
: :
: :
: : > Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 3:23 PM
: : > To: Dan Norton
: : > Cc: Chris Moore - GMD; foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: : > Subject: RE: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems getting OSPF running
: : >
: : >
: : >
: : > Did "sho ip ospf config" give you anything?
: : >
: : > scott
: : >
: : >
: : > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Dan Norton wrote:
: : >
: : > : The cisco configs are plain vanilla, no authentication and
: : > they are all
: : > : using area 0.
: : > :
: : > : I pulled a TCPdump from the interface that has the BigIron
: : > on it and the
: : > : LSAs are getting to it.
: : > :
: : > : BGP was a snap to get working, wish this was the same.
: : > :
: : > : Dan Norton
: : > : CCNA, MCP
: : > : Network Administrator
: : > : WareNet/SyncCast
: : > : dan@ware.net
: : > : dan@synccast.com
: : > : (949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: : > : (888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: : > : Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: : > : SMS: emergency@ware.net
: : > : aim: deveyn
: : > : WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: : > :
: : > : "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
: : > trivial of things
: : > : can turn into deadly projectiles."
: : > :
: : > :
: : > :
: : > : > Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:03 PM
: : > : > To: foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: : > : > Subject: RE: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems getting OSPF running
: : > : >
: : > : > _____________________________________________
[...]
: : > : > >
: : > : > >Dan Norton
: : > : > >Network Administrator
: : > : > >
: : > : > >WareNet
: : > : > >dan@ware.net
: : > : > >(949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: : > : > >(888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: : > : > >Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: : > : > >WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: : > : > >aim: deveyn
: : > : > >
: : > : > _______________________________________________
: : > : > foundry-nsp mailing list
: : > : > foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: : > : >
: : > : >
: : > :
: : > : _______________________________________________
: : > : foundry-nsp mailing list
: : > : foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: : > :
: : >
: : >
: : >
: :
:
:
[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
> Do you mean that OSPF was working when your connection was on
> the e4/1 interface before you turned on route-only? Did you
> test by adding the statements to the now-working interface?
> Are you able to test? This would be interesting information.

OSPF was not working on the e4/1 fast ethernet interface although a
debug showed LSAs being received from the neighbor routers.
I then took the Foundry to the DataCenter and plugged it into the GigE
ports.
At that point, OSPF worked and loaded routes from the e3/1 interface but
e3/2 was disabled due to spanning tree.
I had to disable layer 2 so e3/2 could load BGP from our peer router.

It's very strange, and I can't see any reason (other than a bug) for
OSPF to work fine on a GigE interface but not on Fast Ethernet.

[BULK] - RE: Problems getting OSPF running [ In reply to ]
Let me see if I have this correct. Look at the diagram in a fixed-width
font like Courier.

BGP Peer
^

| BGP subnet
3508 cisco Gig LAN switch ^
^ |
| |
|e3/2 |
Foundry BigIron 4000 Foundry 4000
^ e3/1 or e4/1 |
| |
GX OSPF subnet

interface e 3/1
port-name Uplink to GX
ip address same.subnet.as.cisco.ospf.peers
!
interface e 3/2
port-name Uplink to 3508 Port 1
ip address same.subnet.as.bgp.peer
!
interface e 4/1
ip address same.subnet.as.cisco.ospf.peers

What is physically at the other end of e3/1? Note that the 3508 you're
using is a Gig-only LAN switch. Is the "GX" something like that?

scott

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Dan Norton wrote:

[...]
: > : :
: > : : I made only one change: I moved the connection to the
: > network from
: > : : interface 4/1 to interface 3/1.
: > : :
: > : : Here is my complete config:
: > : :
: > : : ver 07.1.07T53
: > : : module 1 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: > : : module 2 bi-8-port-gig-module
: > : : module 3 bi-8-port-gig-management-module
: > : : module 4 bi-24-port-copper-module
: > : : !
: > : : global-stp
: > : : global-protocol-vlan
: > : : !
: > : : !
[...]
: > : : SMS: emergency@ware.net
: > : : aim: deveyn
: > : : WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: > : :
: > : : "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
: > trivial of things
: > : : can turn into deadly projectiles."
: > : :
: > : :
: > : :
: > : : > Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 3:23 PM
: > : : > To: Dan Norton
: > : : > Cc: Chris Moore - GMD; foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: > : : > Subject: RE: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems getting
: > OSPF running
: > : : >
: > : : >
: > : : >
: > : : > Did "sho ip ospf config" give you anything?
: > : : >
: > : : > scott
: > : : >
: > : : >
: > : : > On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Dan Norton wrote:
: > : : >
: > : : > : The cisco configs are plain vanilla, no authentication and
: > : : > they are all
: > : : > : using area 0.
: > : : > :
: > : : > : I pulled a TCPdump from the interface that has the BigIron
: > : : > on it and the
: > : : > : LSAs are getting to it.
: > : : > :
: > : : > : BGP was a snap to get working, wish this was the same.
: > : : > :
: > : : > : Dan Norton
: > : : > : CCNA, MCP
: > : : > : Network Administrator
: > : : > : WareNet/SyncCast
: > : : > : dan@ware.net
: > : : > : dan@synccast.com
: > : : > : (949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: > : : > : (888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: > : : > : Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: > : : > : SMS: emergency@ware.net
: > : : > : aim: deveyn
: > : : > : WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity, Colocation
: > : : > :
: > : : > : "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most
: > : : > trivial of things
: > : : > : can turn into deadly projectiles."
: > : : > :
: > : : > :
: > : : > :
: > : : > : > Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 2:03 PM
: > : : > : > To: foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net
: > : : > : > Subject: RE: [BULK] - RE: [f-nsp] Problems
: > getting OSPF running
: > : : > : >
: > : : > : > _____________________________________________
[...]
: > : : > : > >
: > : : > : > >Dan Norton
: > : : > : > >Network Administrator
: > : : > : > >
: > : : > : > >WareNet
: > : : > : > >dan@ware.net
: > : : > : > >(949) 417 - 2300 x 2360
: > : : > : > >(888) 927 - 3329 (Fax)
: > : : > : > >Emergency Cell Phone: 949-300-4215
: > : : > : > >WebSite Development, Web Hosting, Connectivity,
: > Colocation
: > : : > : > >aim: deveyn
: > : : > : > >
: > : : > : > _______________________________________________