Mailing List Archive

Summit X450 (no a) - congestion ?
hello,

we have noticed such behavior:
Slot-1 SummitX450-Boguszowice.10 # show ports 1:15 congestion no-refresh
Port Congestion Monitor
Port Link Packet
State Drop
OLT_AP0-> A 4608666
Link State: A-Active, R-Ready, NP-Port Not Present L-Loopback
Slot-1 SummitX450-Boguszowice.11 #

Slot-1 SummitX450-Boguszowice.11 # show ports 1:15 configuration no-refresh
Port Configuration
Port Virtual Port Link Auto Speed Duplex Flow Load Media
router State State Neg Cfg Actual Cfg Actual Cntrl Master
Pri Red
OLT_AP0->VR-Default E A ON AUTO 1000 AUTO FULL NONE LX
> indicates Port Display Name truncated past 8 characters
Link State: A-Active R-Ready NP- Port not present L-Loopback
Port State: D-Disabled, E-Enabled
Media: !-Unsupported Optic Module
Media Red: * - use "show port info detail" for redundant
media type
Slot-1 SummitX450-Boguszowice.12 #

ExtremeXOS version 12.4.5.3 v1245b3-patch1-6

So - there is no flow control, and we have some dropped packets.

Similar situation on x650
ExtremeXOS version 15.3.1.4 v1531b4-patch1-14

what is the reason for such behavior ? Some buffers get full ?
The only info in documentation I found is: "packets dropped due to
congestion on a port"

Regards,
Marcin

Re: Summit X450 (no a) - congestion ? [ In reply to ]

> what is the reason for such behavior ? Some buffers get full ?
> The only info in documentation I found is: "packets dropped due to
> congestion on a port"
>
> Regards,
> Marcin

Very small shared hardware buffers:
In summit 450 ca 4 MB, in summit 670 ca 8 MB.
Typical amount for most TOR switches.. :(

greetings,
Piotr

Re: Summit X450 (no a) - congestion ? [ In reply to ]
On 2014-07-08 14:39, Piotr wrote:

>> what is the reason for such behavior ? Some buffers get full ?
>> The only info in documentation I found is: "packets dropped due to
>> congestion on a port"
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marcin
>
> Very small shared hardware buffers:
> In summit 450 ca 4 MB, in summit 670 ca 8 MB.
> Typical amount for most TOR switches.. :(

Well, reasonable price for reasonable performance.

my x450 are having their 2nd or 3rd live, and software is not supported
any more...

Already got some workarounds.

Marcin

Re: Summit X450 (no a) - congestion ? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 02:35:08PM +0200, Marcin Kuczera wrote:
> On 2014-07-08 14:39, Piotr wrote:

Hi, Marcin!

> >>what is the reason for such behavior ? Some buffers get full ?
> >>The only info in documentation I found is: "packets dropped due to
> >>congestion on a port"
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Marcin
> >
> >Very small shared hardware buffers:
> >In summit 450 ca 4 MB, in summit 670 ca 8 MB.
> >Typical amount for most TOR switches.. :(
>
> Well, reasonable price for reasonable performance.
>
> my x450 are having their 2nd or 3rd live, and software is not
> supported any more...
>
> Already got some workarounds.
Could you share your workarounds, please?

Roman

Re: Summit X450 (no a) - congestion ? [ In reply to ]
On 2014-07-11 15:36, Roman Golub wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 02:35:08PM +0200, Marcin Kuczera wrote:
>> On 2014-07-08 14:39, Piotr wrote:
> Hi, Marcin!

>>> Very small shared hardware buffers:
>>> In summit 450 ca 4 MB, in summit 670 ca 8 MB.
>>> Typical amount for most TOR switches.. :(
>> Well, reasonable price for reasonable performance.
>>
>> my x450 are having their 2nd or 3rd live, and software is not
>> supported any more...
>>
>> Already got some workarounds.
> Could you share your workarounds, please?
Well, simple. If you have QoS issues, than extra bandwith will be solution.
So we have added additional 1G link.

Marcin