Mailing List Archive

MPLS not coming back after link failure
Hello,

We have simple configuration betweeen Extreme X460-24x and Cisco
6500-720-3bxl. Everything works fine, we have three VPWS defined.
Loopback addresses are exchanged via OSPF.

Trouble starts when link goes down, but in a way that Extreme doesn't
see it (because we have link between cities, which doesn't forward link
failures). So port on Extreme is UP, but on Cisco is DOWN.

After putting it into UP state again, LDP stops working - Extreme
doesn't see Cisco, Cisco doesn't see Extreme. To fix that we have two
solutions - reboot of Extreme, or disabling LDP on all affected VLANS
and then enabling it again.

Funny thing is if we don't reboot Extreme, BGP sessions have trouble
coming up (expired timers and so on), but L2 multicast for IPTV are
working just fine.

Any ideas? I think it is Extreme bug, but maybe not?

Thanks!

--
Micha³ Margula, alchemyx@uznam.net.pl, http://alchemyx.uznam.net.pl/
"W ¿yciu piêkne s± tylko chwile" [Ryszard Riedel]
Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 16.09.2012 15:55, Stephane Grosjean pisze:
> Hi,
>
> Your description of the issue seems to show a TCP problem. Both LDP and
> BGP have a problem. Not sure this is an Extreme problem though. No idea
> of what's between the two switches?
>
> Stef

Hello,

BGP sessions are handled by other hardware, not extremes - extremes are
only doing L2 for them. So problem is not TCP. We also have some other
VLANs, but not MPLS enabled ant they just work fine. So definitely
something is broken with LDP.

Thanks

Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 18.09.2012 11:56, Stephane Grosjean pisze:
> Hi Michal,
>
> As I don't know your setup, I'm only speculating.
> Can you detail the layout of the network a bit? On what BGP is relying, etc.
>

> Regards,
>
> Stef

OK!

I have two 1gig optical links between Cisco 6500-SUP720-3bxl and Extreme
X480-24x.

172.16.250.1/24 - Cisco, Link 1
172.16.249.1/24 - Cisco, Link 2

172.16.250.2/24 - Extreme, Link 1
172.16.249.2/24 - Extreme, Link 2

172.16.251.1/32 - Loopback on Cisco
172.16.251.2/32 - Loopback on Extreme

OSPF running on both links and advertising loopbacks. OSPF is UP,
everything is pingable and so on. MPLS LDP running on both links just
fine, defined three VPWS (Extreme side):

create l2vpn vpws MPLS-Jambox fec-id-type pseudo-wire 10
configure l2vpn vpws MPLS-Jambox add service vman Jambox
configure l2vpn vpws MPLS-Jambox mtu 1504
configure l2vpn vpws MPLS-Jambox add peer 172.16.251.1

And so on... Everything works fine, passing by traffic to Cisco. Then
after one of following things:

- physical disconnect of both links
- port shutdown on Cisco of both ports
- port disable on Extreme of both ports

And then recovering (reconnecting a cable, no shutdown or enable) LDP
fails to come back up, altough OSPF works just fine, everything is
pingable and so on. Extreme doesn't see its neighbors, Cisco doesn't see
Extreme. I have to do "disable mpls ldp vlan X" and "enable mpls ldp
vlan X" to make it work again. There is nothing I can do on Cisco to fix
it, so it is clearly problem on Extreme.

Conclusion: LDP doesn't recover after link failure. Why? Probably
software bug?

Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 18.09.2012 12:10, Micha³ Margula pisze:
> I have two 1gig optical links between Cisco 6500-SUP720-3bxl and Extreme
> X480-24x.

Another thing - yesterday we had fiber cut on one links and after fixing
that LDP came up properly. So it seems that problem starts when both
links die and Loopback address disappears from OSPF.

Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 22.09.2012 20:50, Stephane Grosjean pisze:
> Did you open an SR with Extreme TAC?

Hello,

No I didn't because I can't. It seems that every issue I need to report
to my retailer and he then contacts Extreme.

Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 26.09.2012 11:45, Stephane Grosjean pisze:
> Hi,
>

> if it's a bug, that's the only way, ask your retailer to open a case on
> that matter.
>
> When losing the loopback in ospf, sure LDP has an issue. It should work
> when they are reachable again, maybe after OSPF (depends on the timer)
> so it could lead to some issue for mpls (and so vpls) in the meantime,
> while pure IP is not affected (LDP has to resignal the labels for mpls
> traffic). Did you wait long enough to see if it's working back after the
> timers of LDP are hit? If so, that's weird, so open a case. If not,
> maybe that's the issue and some tuning of the timers could help.

Hello,

I even did a test that took 30 minutes, so every possible timer should
be OK. But as Marcin suggested I will try IS-IS and see if it happens also.

Thanks!

Re: MPLS not coming back after link failure [ In reply to ]
W dniu 26.09.2012 21:40, Micha³ Margula pisze:

> Hello,
>
> I even did a test that took 30 minutes, so every possible timer should
> be OK. But as Marcin suggested I will try IS-IS and see if it happens also.
>
> Thanks!

Hello,

I have found source of all that trouble with MPLS. It was caused by
default gateway configured on switches. After removing it everything
comes back up fine in about 90 seconds (MPLS + LDP + EoMPLS).

So for me it is still a bug but somewhat solved.

Have a nice day!