Mailing List Archive

Ontap 6.2.2 and W2K domain joining
Hi folks,

On my F720 I have recently upgraded my Ontap version
from 5.3.6R2 to 6.2.2. I now have a weird situation
in that when I browse the W2K network with a PC I cannot
see the NetApp in the browse list for my domain. I DO
see the NetApp in the Active Directory Computer container.
It is also listed in WINS. I also can network map
a drive to the NetApp from the Windows Explorer Tools
menu. It works fine. Also, anyone that has a present
network-mapped drive is able to use it. The ONLY
problem is browsing for the NetApp. It is not even
listed in the browse list. Has anyone seen this before?

My W2K domain is SNOWSHORE while my DNS/AD directory domain
is office.snowshore.com. Here's the output from my
recent cifs setup:

thor> cifs setup
Enable CIFS access to the filer by a Windows(tm) PC
Your filer is visible to all systems using WINS.
The WINS name servers currently configured are:
192.168.1.20
Do you want to modify this list? [no]:
This filer is currently configured as a Multiprotocol filer.
Do you want to configure this filer as a NTFS-only filer? [no]:
This filer is currently a member of the domain 'OFFICE'
If you want to change the name of the filer, or change
the filer's domain membership, you must delete its
existing account information.
Do you want to delete the existing filer account information? [no]: yes
The default name of this filer will be 'THOR'.
Do you want to modify this name? [no]:
CIFS supports three types of user authentication:
1. Windows Domain authentication.
2. Windows Workgroup authentication using the filer's user accounts.
3. /etc/passwd and/or NIS based authentication.
What type of authentication will this filer use? [1]: 1
The filer will use Windows Domain authentication.
Enter the Windows Domain for the filer []:office.snowshore.com
OFFICE is a Windows 2000(tm) domain.
In order to create this filer's domain account, you must supply the
name and password of an administrator account with sufficient
privilege
to add the filer to the OFFICE domain.
Please enter the Windows 2000 user [OFFICE\Administrator]:
Password for OFFICE\Administrator:
CIFS - Logged in as OFFICE\Administrator.
By default, setup creates the filer account in the Active
Directory container named 'Computers'. Alternatively, you can
install the filer in an organizational unit (OU) by specifying
the domain relative distinguished name of the OU, as in
'ou=innerOU,ou=outerOU'.
Active Directory container for filer account? [cn=computers]:
CIFS - Connecting to domain controller.
Mon Nov 25 23:03:46 EST [nbns_timer:info]: All CIFS name registrations
complete fo
r local server
Welcome to the OFFICE Windows 2000(tm) domain.

CIFS local server is running.
thor>

One of the thing's I am very curious about is the fact that the machine
"joins" the OFFICE domain. All of my workstations "join" the
SNOWSHORE or atleast the office.snowshore.com domain. Could this be the
problem?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Sanborn (978) 367-8478
Principal Network Administrator
SnowShore Networks
285 Billerica Rd.
Chelmsford, MA. 01824
Re: Ontap 6.2.2 and W2K domain joining [ In reply to ]
Ed Sanborn wrote:

> [...]
> By default, setup creates the filer account in the Active
> Directory container named 'Computers'. Alternatively, you can
> install the filer in an organizational unit (OU) by specifying
> the domain relative distinguished name of the OU, as in
> 'ou=innerOU,ou=outerOU'.
>Active Directory container for filer account? [cn=computers]:
>CIFS - Connecting to domain controller.
>Mon Nov 25 23:03:46 EST [nbns_timer:info]: All CIFS name registrations
>complete fo
>r local server
>Welcome to the OFFICE Windows 2000(tm) domain.
>
>CIFS local server is running.
>thor>
>
>One of the thing's I am very curious about is the fact that the machine
>"joins" the OFFICE domain. All of my workstations "join" the
>SNOWSHORE or atleast the office.snowshore.com domain. Could this be the

I heard about a problem like this, (actually, the filer was not seen
from either the network neighbor neither from inside the
Active Directory Computer container but was integrate the domain fine)
you could tried to upgrade in 6.3 if possible,
it seems to be related to a netbios bug in ontapp .
i dont have any bug number to supply to you for the moment
Re: Ontap 6.2.2 and W2K domain joining [ In reply to ]
I think that Staphane mains bug number 50610

Reinoud

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=50610

RE: Ontap 6.2.2 and W2K domain joining [ In reply to ]
Thank you folks!

This is indeed my problem.

-Ed

RE: Ontap 6.2.2 and W2K domain joining [ In reply to ]
Go for 6.3.
It works really well and we have tested it.

Rahul

Rahul Kumar,
Tele: + 91 20 2930812 (D),
Cell: + 91 982230 9177.