northrup@loudcloud.com
Unix System Administrator
EDS Automated Operations
Re: Load testing a Netapp [ In reply to ]
> I'm trying to test some monitoring scripts I have for filers and would like
> to know if there's a way to artificially increase the CPU load on a filer.
> I don't have very many clients to generate load with, so if there's some way
> to do this from the console of a filer, that's even better. Thanks for your
> help.

"snap list" on our F820 raised CPU usage from about 5% to over 20% for
almost a minute. We have about 20 snapshots on a 500G volume. Creating
and deleting snapshots also causes higher CPU load for several seconds.

If you are using quotas, then "quota on volname" (after quota off) can use
a lot of CPU on a large volume.

You could also run a disk scrub with "disk scrub start".

Steve Losen scl@virginia.edu phone: 434-924-0640

University of Virginia ITC Unix Support
Re: Load testing a Netapp [ In reply to ]
Steve Losen writes:

> "snap list" on our F820 raised CPU usage from about 5% to over 20% for
> almost a minute. We have about 20 snapshots on a 500G volume.

"snap list" is _much_ faster in recent ONTAP releases (e.g. 6.2.2). It
doesn't seem to do any disc I/O at all nowadays.

> We have about 20 snapshots on a 500G volume. Creating
> and deleting snapshots also causes higher CPU load for several seconds.

And disk I/O as well: that's still true. Though not as much as pre-6.0, of
course.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk