How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap?
All:

I set up some snmp traps via filer view and I would like to simulate or test the
traps to make sure they works. I set up traps for a failed disk, failed pdu,
failed fan, and cluster failover notification. The filer is in production and I
would like to find a way to test this out without actually failing the hardware
myself. Any ideas?

-Mark
Re: How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for all the feedback. Immediately after I sent the email I figured out
that I can change the trip value to the normal value. Once I did this the traps
started cranking up on our traphost. I was then able to view the trap message on
our traphost and create notification script by replacing normal values for the
actual trip values.

Thanks

-Mark

RE: How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap? [ In reply to ]
Mark (or anyone on Toasters),
Where do you configure the "trip value"? Also, I have a normal trap setup
to go to my SNMP host, but I am not getting alerts, especially when we have
QTREES set up to alert us when a QTREE gets to 90%. I have had some QTREES
exceed 90% and never was alerted.

Thanks,
Eric Pero
The Hartford
Intel Server Team
Eric.Pero@thehartford.com
(860)547-4073

Thanks for all the feedback. Immediately after I sent the email I figured
out
that I can change the trip value to the normal value. Once I did this the
traps
started cranking up on our traphost. I was then able to view the trap
message on
our traphost and create notification script by replacing normal values for
the
actual trip values.

Thanks

-Mark
>Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 13:10:41 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Daniel H. Brown" <brown@brauhausdc.org>
>To: Mark Allen <markallen@micron.com>
>Subject: Re: How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap?
>X-MTFilter-%I%: jade
>X-MTHubFilter-1.6: mail-srv1
>

>You might get the snmpd stuff off the net and send some "fake" traps using
>that. They won't actually be from your filer, but, it should allow you to
>test what happens when the traps arrive.
>
>here's the first bit of the "snmptrap" man page out of that package.
>
>SNMPTRAP(1) SNMPTRAP(1)
>

>NAME
> snmptrap, snmpinform - sends an SNMP trap to a manager

>On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Mark Allen wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:28:52 -0600 (MDT)
>> From: Mark Allen <markallen@micron.com>
>> To: toasters@mathworks.com
>> Subject: How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap?
>>
>> All:
>>
>> I set up some snmp traps via filer view and I would like to simulate or
test
the
>> traps to make sure they works. I set up traps for a failed disk, failed
pdu,
>> failed fan, and cluster failover notification. The filer is in production
and
>> would like to find a way to test this out without actually failing the
hardware
>> myself. Any ideas?
>>
>> -Mark
>>

>--
>Dan Brown
>brown@brauhausdc.org

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.
RE: How can I test or simulate an SNMP trap? [ In reply to ]
Unscrew one of the fans, pull it out, wait for the light to turn orange,
push it back in. That should fire 4 snmp traps:
1. FanFail
2. Status critical
3. FanRepaired
4. Status normal