Mailing List Archive

Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety
Dear Toasters,

I have 2 filers, a F810 and a F740. We also have some Sun servers that
do NIS, sendmail, web server etc.

To protect from root/boot disk failures on my Sun, i either use rsync to
copy the root disk to another machine with the same hardware architecture or
mirror the disk to a "backup" disk on the same machine.

I have 2 volumes on my F810 vol0(which has 2 disks) and vol1(11 disks) on
a DS-14 shelf.

I am trying to protect myself from the situation where i lose both my vol0
disks, which will mean that my filer will no longer know anything about
itself and i cant really "connect" from my backup server to the netapp to
recover everything.

If i lose 2 disks on vol1, i will lose all data, but i can slap 2 new
disks on the filer and still recover all data from my backups.

Any recommendations, thoughts on the same ?

I use Legato for backup and do my backups over NFS, by mounting the
volumes to my backup server.

/dev/null

devnull@adc.idt.com
Re: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
I was wondering if we can snapmirror vol0 of filer1 to filer2
and viceversa! or maybe use ndmpcopy across the filers.
Thanks
/Deepak

SV: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
Hi, All you need to do is copy the etc-directory from the root volume to
your other volume,

Then if your root-volume fails, you floppy-boot and select your other volume
as root volume, reboot and all is well...

Now if you have other stuff on your root volume besides etc, you will still
need to restore it from backups.

---- Mats

Re: SV: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
mats.oberg@tietoenator.com writes:

> Hi, All you need to do is copy the etc-directory from the root volume
> to your other volume,
>
> Then if your root-volume fails, you floppy-boot and select your other
> volume as root volume, reboot and all is well...

I wonder whether such copying is entirely safe. In some releases of ONTAP
certain actions cause /etc on a non-root volume to be created and files
put there, the overwriting of which by the proposed copying might have
evil consequences.

For example, at one time (pre-6.0, I think) turning quotas on for the
non-root volume did this, creating files in /etc/db there. And more
recently taking a backup dump would create files in /etc/tmp and in
/etc/oldmaps/bkp. I don't know of anything that mucks with /etc on a
non-root volume in 6.2 or later, though.

One could copy to /etc_safety_copy on the non-root volume instead,
of course, and then use the not-so-secret "mv" command to rename it
as /etc as part of the recovery process.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk
Re: SV: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
> I wonder whether such copying is entirely safe. In some releases of ONTAP
> certain actions cause /etc on a non-root volume to be created and files
> put there, the overwriting of which by the proposed copying might have
> evil consequences.
Thanks for the tip.

I just use rsync to "sync" between /vol/vol0/etc/ and /vol/vol1/safe_etc/

Has anyone made Boot floppies(ontap) on Solaris/Linux.

I dont know how to fit more than 1.45 Mb on a 3.5" floppy.

Ontap uses 4 disks to boot.

3 are of size 1.47M and one of size 0.76M.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ram.
Re: SV: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
This is not so easy.
We used to do this and after an upgrade, it crashed every time we ran rsync
to copy from root volume /etc to other volume /etc for a backup root volume.
There are certain files in /etc that cannot be completely overwritten,
even if it is on a non-root volume.
Haven't heard if this is changed. Don't remember bug number.

--
}}}===============>> LLNL
James E. Harm (Jim); jharm@llnl.gov
RE: Root/Boot Disk(Volume?) Safety [ In reply to ]
*** Before acting on this e-mail or opening any attachment you are advised to read the disclaimer at the end of this e-mail ***

FWIW we exportfs the /etc folder read only, and nightly copy across to a
Win2K server (via WS-FTP PRO Sync utility) so that the folder gets onto the
Win2K server backup cycle including month ends etc. That way we have an
online copy, and on month end tapes in the NT space so it is restorable
without having to get the Filer up first.

Peter

I was wondering if we can snapmirror vol0 of filer1 to filer2 and viceversa!
or maybe use ndmpcopy across the filers. Thanks /Deepak

> I have 2 filers, a F810 and a F740. We also have some Sun servers that
> do NIS, sendmail, web server etc.
>
> To protect from root/boot disk failures on my Sun, i either use rsync
> to copy the root disk to another machine with the same hardware
> architecture
or
> mirror the disk to a "backup" disk on the same machine.
>
> I have 2 volumes on my F810 vol0(which has 2 disks) and vol1(11 disks)
> on a DS-14 shelf.
>
> I am trying to protect myself from the situation where i lose both my
> vol0 disks, which will mean that my filer will no longer know anything
> about itself and i cant really "connect" from my backup server to the
> netapp to recover everything.
>
> If i lose 2 disks on vol1, i will lose all data, but i can slap 2 new
> disks on the filer and still recover all data from my backups.
>
> Any recommendations, thoughts on the same ?
>
> I use Legato for backup and do my backups over NFS, by mounting the
> volumes to my backup server.
>
> /dev/null
>
> devnull@adc.idt.com

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in
error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show
them to anyone; please reply to this e-mail and highlight the error.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.