Mailing List Archive

Storagetek l80
Hello,

We just became the proud owners of an L80. Its a bit of a big beast, and has
baffled me a bit! I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these
attached directly to the netapp, and also attached to a backup server such
as an E250? During the selection process the company we engaged told me that
each drive could be connected directly to a machine via SCSI. Looking at the
back of the library, I think this is do-able, as each drive has SCSI
connections, but I am not sure if these are intended to be connected to the
library itself, then daisy chained together, or if the drive can be attached
to the filer... I am waiting on a colleague to chase the supplier, but
thought I put out request to you guys too...

Anyone?

Thanks

Simon

Simon Clawson TEL:- +44
(0)1635 811409
HDL Designer Series Team Systems Administrator FAX:- +44 (0)1635
810108
Mentor Graphics Ireland Ltd (UK Branch) MOB:- +44
(0)7788 716071
Rivergate
London Road
Newbury
Berkshire
RG14 2QB
RE: Storagetek l80 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

We just became the proud owners of an L80. Its a bit of a big beast, and has
baffled me a bit! I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these
attached directly to the netapp, and also attached to a backup server such
as an E250? During the selection process the company we engaged told me that
each drive could be connected directly to a machine via SCSI. Looking at the
back of the library, I think this is do-able, as each drive has SCSI
connections, but I am not sure if these are intended to be connected to the
library itself, then daisy chained together, or if the drive can be attached
to the filer... I am waiting on a colleague to chase the supplier, but
thought I put out request to you guys too...

Okay, I don't have a toaster at present but I have looked after them in the
past. I do have a L80 which is a great tape library. Each of the tape drives
can be connected to a different system and storage tek will say if you have
LTO drives in it then each drive should really be on a separate bus for
performance/reliablity issues. What software are you using to drive this,
netback from veritas can handle one having a robotic with the tape drives
attached to different machines, for a toaster you would need to have a NDMP
license as well, the robotic being controlled by the E250.