Mailing List Archive

budtool tape recovery without budtool
I have an old design tape that was made with Budtool's ndmp option that
I need to recover. We no longer have budtool but one of the selling
points of BT was that you could recover your data without it.

The tape was made by an ndmp dump direct to tape. Anyone know how to
recover? I have attempted the following:

mt -f rst0a rewind
mt -f nrst0a fsf 1
mt -f nrst0a fsr 2
recover TfD nrst0a /vol/recovery

Doing the above gets me a block issue: "block size should be 60 not
63". So I tried this (after positioning...):

recover TfDb nrst0a /vol/recovery 60

It vascillates between returning "Bad Header" and something about a 4k
block.

I could really use some help on this one.....no BT manuals anymore
either.

Thanks.
--
=====================
Jeff Kennedy
Re: budtool tape recovery without budtool [ In reply to ]
I got the answer from Marion Hakanson (much appreciated!). Quite simple
really, once you know the steps.

use rdtoc to get the file number of the image from each media it resides
on.

use rdsplit to recover the image if it's multiple tapes. here's what I
actually ran:

rdsplit 3 /dev/rmt/0n | rsh filer1 restore -xvfD /vol/vol0/home
./department/project

I guess this is why BT was so loved by those who used it. Very simple.

~JK

Jeff Kennedy wrote:

> I have an old design tape that was made with Budtool's ndmp option that
> I need to recover. We no longer have budtool but one of the selling
> points of BT was that you could recover your data without it.
>
> The tape was made by an ndmp dump direct to tape. Anyone know how to
> recover? I have attempted the following:
>
> mt -f rst0a rewind
> mt -f nrst0a fsf 1
> mt -f nrst0a fsr 2
> recover TfD nrst0a /vol/recovery
>
> Doing the above gets me a block issue: "block size should be 60 not
> 63". So I tried this (after positioning...):
>
> recover TfDb nrst0a /vol/recovery 60
>
> It vascillates between returning "Bad Header" and something about a 4k
> block.

Jeff Kennedy
Unix Administrator
AMCC