vox: +1 604 415 6646 PMC-Sierra, Inc
fax: +1 604 415 6151 105-8555 Baxter Place
http://www.lydia.org/~zaphod Burnaby BC, V5A 4V7
Re: quota [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:29:54PM -0700, Lance R Bailey wrote:
| we hava a user who wants to know their user quota. the quota is set up
| with:
|
| * user@/vol/vol1/home 7G
|
| but they don't know it's 7G, and it's different from project to project,
| from home disk to home disk.
|
| if i cd into their home dir, and do a df, i see the tree quota not the
| user quota
|
| now, they could remsh into the filer, do a quota report and grep for
| their name, but we don't let users remsh into the filer :)
|
| are there any tools or approaches for this?

Solaris NFS clients:
/usr/sbin/quota -v

BSD NFS clients:
/usr/bin/quota

CIFS clients:
Can't recall; I think the Windows Explorer only shows tree
quota (it's been a while)

Note: you should set the `number of files' quota as well, otherwise a
rogue program or user could easily chew up all the inodes on the filer
without impacting their `disk usage' quota.

Luke.
Re: quota [ In reply to ]
thank you to all those who suggested "quota -v" but unfortunately that
doesn't seem to work...

clinton% quota -v cummings
Disk quotas for cummings (uid 1575):
Filesystem usage quota limit timeleft files quota limit timeleft
clinton%

so there is no information. quotad is supposed to be supported, but it
doesn't seem to be so...

--
email: lance_bailey@pmc-sierra.com box: Lance R. Bailey, unix Administrator

Re: quota [ In reply to ]
baileyla@pmc-sierra.com (Lance R Bailey) writes:

> thank you to all those who suggested "quota -v" but unfortunately that
> doesn't seem to work...
>
> clinton% quota -v cummings
> Disk quotas for cummings (uid 1575):
> Filesystem usage quota limit timeleft files quota limit timeleft
> clinton%
>
> so there is no information. quotad is supposed to be supported, but it
> doesn't seem to be so...

You need to make sure that

(a) the NFS filing system is mounted on the client at the time you
do "quota -v";
(b) the mount point is inside the qtree for which the user quota
applies (as you has a user@<qtree> type quota);
(c) the "noquota" option wasn't used on the NFS mount, as (for some
Unix clients, anyway) such mount points are skipped by the quota
command when it is doing its RPC calls.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk
Re: quota [ In reply to ]
i got it to work on some qtrees and not on others. turns out some of
our sites had "noquota" set as a default mount option.

so the client did not report quotas on the NetApp, which was happy to
enforce them.

kind of amusing, as long as you are not the admin who gets the 2am
phone call.

thanks.
--
email: lance_bailey@pmc-sierra.com box: Lance R. Bailey, unix Administrator
vox: +1 604 415 6646 PMC-Sierra, Inc
fax: +1 604 415 6151 105-8555 Baxter Place
http://www.lydia.org/~zaphod Burnaby BC, V5A 4V7
"In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should
have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him."
-- Dereke Bruce, Taipei, Taiwan