netapp up to date? I think I can get my hands on the floppy disks. How
hard is the install? Do all the licenses carry over? Also, the firmware
release below, 2.3._a2, can/should that be upgraded also?

NetApp Release 5.3.5R2: Tue Mar 28 15:48:22 PST 2000
System ID: 0016791464 (na4m-be)
slot 0: System Board (NetApp System Board V N0)
Model Name: F740
Serial Number: 221290
Firmware release: 2.3_a2
Memory Size: 512 MB

Thanks
Dan
Re: upgrading the ONTAP version [ In reply to ]
We were in a similar situation with a clustered pair of F740 filers running
ONTAP 5.3.4R2. They are now running ONTAP 6.2.1D11. The steps I always
follow are:

1) Upgrade filer firmware to latest rev.

2) Upgrade ONTAP version

3) Upgrade disk firmware to latest rev.
Note that the disk firmware upgrades MAY have to come before
the ONTAP version upgrade. There are a few field alerts about
the types of disks that fall into this category on the NOW site.
Also, the newer versions of ONTAP will handle the disk firmware
upgrade automagically, unless you have clustered filers.

The install is not very difficult. The best approach is to just follow the
upgrade steps posted on the NOW site. So far, they have always been
accurate. There is a set of upgrade steps posted with each version of
ONTAP. Also, I have never had a problem with license carry-over.

I believe that the latest system board firmware rev. you want is 2.8_a2
(also posted on the NOW site).

The only weirdness I've seen since the upgrade is the following CIFS audit
messages:

[toaster: registry_control:notice]: Restarting CIFS auditing with new
buffer size.
[toaster: registry_control:warning]: option cifs.audit.membufsize: Value
(4096) is out of range (10240 to 262144), using 65536 instead.

I'm still trying to figure out what's causing this. The
cifs.audit.membufsize option is actually set to 65536 on both of the
filers. Also, I've turned CIFS auditing off. However, it mysteriously
turns itself back on every hour. Strange, but it hasn't caused any
problems that I've found yet.

Re: upgrading the ONTAP version [ In reply to ]
Dan,

Having recently gone through this on 760's, and being
in the middle of the same for 2 740's, I can offer a checklist
that makes it look trivial. (A plug here for Datalink, one of
their SE's did the actual planning and upgrades.)

Firmware was upgraded to 2.8_a2. Get the floppy boot
disk image from now.netapp.com, boot the filer from it, and
type 'update-flash'. Don't unplug the power until it's done.
6.x needs current firmware I believe.

OnTap was upgraded to 6.1.3R2. Mount the filer's root
vol on a unix host, untar the system files into that mounted
filesystem, type './install_netapp /<mount-point>' on the unix
box, and then 'download' on the filer's console.

Disk firmware was upgraded as part of the OnTap install;
this can be done manually as well. No problems with licenses.

I'd suggest taking and then testing a complete backup
of all vols on the filer before even starting. The upgrades
themselves run without a hitch, but there's a chance* that disk
will fail to spin up on the reboot after the upgrade. Check
the contents of /etc/disk_fw against sysconfig -r and the disk
firmware matrix on the now site to make sure you have current
bin files for all disk in the shelves.

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/ontap/rel63/html/ontap/upgrade/index.htm

http://now.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/diskfw/

(*) From 4.x to 5.3, several disk failed, this was a while ago.
From 5.3 to 6.1, no failures on 1 760, 2 disk on the other but
one of those came up after head and shelves were power-cycled;
the vol rebuilt using the spare. This is the only disconcerting
part of the whole thing but apparently the failure rate of disk
during upgrades is extremely low.

RE: upgrading the ONTAP version [ In reply to ]
I upgraded last night, and see this message now. Any news from NetApp?

Simon

RE: upgrading the ONTAP version [ In reply to ]
That fixed it.