I'm facing a boring problem
I've changed the UID of a UNIX user and now he is unable
to read in old .snapshot because he is not the owner of
old files .

is there a way to perform a chown in .snapshot directories
when I try the filer answers the filesystem is readonly ...

thx for any infos

Frank
Re: chown in .snapshot ? [ In reply to ]
bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr (Frank Bonnet) writes:

> I'm facing a boring problem
>
> I've changed the UID of a UNIX user

I hope you had a good reason - such things cause a great deal
of prolonged pain in my experience...

> and now he is unable
> to read in old .snapshot because he is not the owner of
> old files .
>
> is there a way to perform a chown in .snapshot directories
> when I try the filer answers the filesystem is readonly ...

That's because snapshots *are* read-only. Really, really read-only!

If this isn't a one-off requirement to be dealt with by use of
root privilege (it can't persist longer than your maximum snapshot
lifetime after all), then you might consider:

1. Giving him a second account under the old uid for the duration.

2. If the files and directories in the snapshot are group-readable,
add the new uid to the old group (this rather assumes you use
personal groups).

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk