Geoff Hardin
geoff.hardin@dalsemi.com

Gun control is a steady hand!
Re: large data move [ In reply to ]
I migrated the majority of the data on our F740 to our F820
this past August. Total data was ~200GB, and a mixture of qtrees
and plain subdirs. I set up a private GigE connection between
the two, and used ndmpcopy across that. Total time to copy over
was just shy of 9 hours. The F740 was still serving data (read-only)
for that time (midnight-9am, so not a very high load).

In the tests I ran from our F810 to the F820 across private GigE
(both machines basically idle), the transfer was about 50% faster.

--
Jeff Bryer bryer@sfu.ca
Systems Administrator (604) 291-4935
RE: large data move [ In reply to ]
Geoff,

Easiest and fastest is to set up crossover cables
and use snapmirror. If you have multiple interfaces free
(a quad card maybe) interfaces can be trunked with vif;
with a single crossover line I saw a vol with 185 gig of
data mirrored in about 6 1/2 hours.

Syntax is dead easy, source -> destination; waldorf
is the source filer here.

netapp-demo> snapmirror initialize -S waldorf:domain2 netapp-demo:domain2
netapp-demo> rdfile /etc/snapmirror.allow
waldorf
netapp-demo>

--
Dave Toal