across all of my servers that are attached to the filers.

Thanks

Joe
Re: SUN Solaris Performance Tools [ In reply to ]
Check out this tool by Richard Pettit http://www.setoolkit.com/ . I've used
it and it's not bad at all.

Oye
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Bishop" <Joseph.Bishop@jpl.nasa.gov>
To: <toasters@mathworks.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 1:46 PM
Subject: SUN Solaris Performance Tools

Re: SUN Solaris Performance Tools [ In reply to ]
Obviously you've got great tools like vmstat, the /usr/proc/* tools,
sar, iostat, etc.
If you want to branch out, SEtoolkit (www.setoolkit.com) can't be beat.
Make sure that if you install it you know which version you are getting,
the most current build is 64-bit only, so use one back which is 32- and
64-bit for 5.6, 5.7, and 5.8.
If you want a graphical front end to it, use Orca (www.orcaware.com).
It's basically MRTG for SE Toolkit output. It runs SE checks ever so
often and then uses RDDTool to graph all the data over time and display
it in a simple web page.

If you REALLY need to have a GUI, then you'll want to get a current
(very current) version of Sun Management Center/Symon. You can load
several good performance modules to watch stats, but it's slow.
The guy who wrote Symon is a great guy and suggests that you isolate one
box with a good amount of memory (256M he says) as the server, and do
not try to serve and monitor from the same host.

Of all the options, just installing the SE Toolkit and running
virtual-adrian for awhile is probly the quickest way to figure out
where a problem might be. Zoom.se is a fav too.

Let me know if you want help with it.

benr.

Re: SUN Solaris Performance Tools [ In reply to ]
BGS Best1's data collector has now apparently been combined with BMC
Patrol so that (despite my personal dislike for Patrol) it might be a
goer. TBYB.

Alternatively simply using the various *stat's with some noddy bits of
perl or shell-script will give useful date/time-stamped tables which
you can then graph using spreadsheet software or gnuplot, and are quite
amenable to importing into databases or packages like SAS.

RRDTool is also a likely candidate for the kind of performance-tracking
trending and capacity planning that you might want to do.

RRDTool doesn't collect data though, just helps you work with time-based
data.

--
-Mark ... an Englishman in London ...
Re: SUN Solaris Performance Tools [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 14:31, Mark Simmons wrote:
> BGS Best1's data collector has now apparently been combined with BMC
> Patrol so that (despite my personal dislike for Patrol) it might be a
> goer. TBYB.

I suppose if you want to bring up the $$$$$ tools that few of us can
justify buying, then BMC Patrol has gotten much better.
TeamQuest seems to be the cream of the crop. It's pretty easy to use
and very functional. Plus it'll give you the 50000 diffrent graphical/
graphed views that are nothing but neat to look at.

> Alternatively simply using the various *stat's with some noddy bits of
> perl or shell-script will give useful date/time-stamped tables which
> you can then graph using spreadsheet software or gnuplot, and are quite
> amenable to importing into databases or packages like SAS.
>
> RRDTool is also a likely candidate for the kind of performance-tracking
> trending and capacity planning that you might want to do.
>
> RRDTool doesn't collect data though, just helps you work with time-based
> data.

.....which is where Orca can help.