Anyways, i just wanted to bitch about it.

/dev/null

devnull@adc.idt.com
Re: NetApp Gripe. [ In reply to ]
Snip:
> Not really amused about the hike in NetApp maintenance prices, which
> seem to have doubled.

Why do you care how much it costs? At long as your company willing to pay
then just do it. All I am looking for is the product that works and don't
cost my company down time.

> Is this a disturbing trend ya'll are seeing with other vendors also ?
>
> Anyways, i just wanted to bitch about it.

Anyway, it just my two cents.

C-
Re: NetApp Gripe. [ In reply to ]
I agree that the cost is high. The thing we all have to do is
weigh the risk vs. the outage cost. I have dealt with other companies
that cost alot more and deliver alot less in support. We pay extra
for SAM+ and decided that for our 19 filers it was well worth it.
NetApp has come thru for us with flying colors when during some major
crisis situations. You pay for it just like insurance. When we called,
they really put forth their best side and acted as partners with us.
Since we have seen them in action I can say that, for our organization and
in my humble opinion, the choice to pay a little more has been a good one.

Your risk analysis may differ and your milage may vary.
C-

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 08:33:58PM -0400, courier@telica.com wrote:

> Snip:
> > Not really amused about the hike in NetApp maintenance prices, which
> > seem to have doubled.
>
> Why do you care how much it costs? At long as your company willing to pay
> then just do it. All I am looking for is the product that works and don't
> cost my company down time.
>
> > Is this a disturbing trend ya'll are seeing with other vendors also ?
> >
> > Anyways, i just wanted to bitch about it.
>
> Anyway, it just my two cents.
>
> C-

* | When you're throwin' your *
* Chris Blackmor _______ | weight around, *
* Advanced Micro Devices \____ | | be ready to have it *
* Phone: (512) 602-1608 /| | | | thrown around by *
* Fax: (512) 602-5155 | |___| | | somebody else. *
* Email: chris.blackmor@amd.com |____/ \| | Author Unknown*
* My comments are mine, and mine alone. *
Re: NetApp Gripe. [ In reply to ]
NetApp operates no differently than other vendors -- hardware maintenance
pricing ratchets up on aging systems as newer models begin to deliver in
volume.

However, third parties can usually provide hardware maintenance contracts for
older systems that provide significant savings to the user in the range of
30-50%. As part of these contracts, spare parts and/or complete (unlicensed)
"failover" filers/systems are often kept on-site; this paves the way for
"mean-time-to-repair" and "availability" that are actually superior to what
the manufacturers' field engineering organizations can deliver.

Scott

Scott Fischmann
Union Computer Exchange, Inc.
6233 Idylwood Lane
Minneapolis, MN 55436
email: scott@unioncomputer.com
phone: 952 935 7282 | fax: 952 935 5056

Re: NetApp Gripe. [ In reply to ]
Hello,

The user who commented on prices increasing for older filers is correct.
If you perform a quick TCO on your filers, you might find it's cheaper to
replace your F7XX filers with F8XX filers since the new filer can be
purchased with a 3-year maintenance contract.

Depending on your pricing structure with NetApp, you might find you'll do
better (save your company money) by refreshing your hardware every 2-3
years instead of drawing it out to 3-5 years.

/Brian/

--
Brian Long | | |
Americas IT Hosting Sys Admin | .|||. .|||.
Re: NetApp Gripe. [ In reply to ]
This is exactly what we did. We upgraded all of our 7xx models to 8xx
models primarily because of maintenance costs associated with older
models. This financial model worked for us and probably will continue
to work.

~JK

Brian Long wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The user who commented on prices increasing for older filers is correct.
> If you perform a quick TCO on your filers, you might find it's cheaper to
> replace your F7XX filers with F8XX filers since the new filer can be
> purchased with a 3-year maintenance contract.
>
> Depending on your pricing structure with NetApp, you might find you'll do
> better (save your company money) by refreshing your hardware every 2-3
> years instead of drawing it out to 3-5 years.
>
> /Brian/
>
> --
> Brian Long | | |
> Americas IT Hosting Sys Admin | .|||. .|||.
> Pager: (888) 651-2015 | C i s c o S y s t e m s

--
Jeff Kennedy