Mailing List Archive

XP password woes into NetApp/NIS
Executive summary:

o Two fileservers: one Solaris, other NetApp. Common NIS authentication.
o Two clients: one W2K, other XP. Both "plaintext enabled" (for NIS).
o W2K connects happily to both servers: XP fails to connect to NetApp.

Detail:

We are migrating our users' home directories from a Sun/Solaris fileserver
to a NetApp (ONTAP 6.1.2R1). Both servers authenticate into a common NIS
domain (passwords being in a usual Solaris-style "passwd.adjunct" map).

We have hundreds of W2K clients. Using NIS means having their registry
tweaked to use plaintext passwords (horrible, I know).

This has all been working satisfactorily for months/years.

Recently we have also had a small number of Windows XP clients. Until
now, these have all (successfully) been connecting to the Solaris server.
But the migration of data towards NetApp now means, for the first time,
these XPs attempting to connect to the NetApp (same NIS domain). This
fails (still OK against Solaris) with:
System error 86 has occured
The specified network password is not correct.

This one has us stumped! Is there a known problem here?

--

: David Lee I.T. Service :
: Systems Programmer Computer Centre :
Re: XP password woes into NetApp/NIS [ In reply to ]
> Executive summary:
>
> o Two fileservers: one Solaris, other NetApp. Common NIS authentication.
> o Two clients: one W2K, other XP. Both "plaintext enabled" (for NIS).
> o W2K connects happily to both servers: XP fails to connect to NetApp.

bug id 58190 (title: /etc/passwd or NIS Based Authentication Do Not Work With
Windows XP Clients)
http://now.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=58190
fixed in release(s)
6.1.3R2 - DataOntap