Mailing List Archive

qtree Move Between Vols
I apologize in advance if this is in a FAQ or in the archives. I
couldn't find an answer there, so...

I've just brought a new vol on-line and need to move some qtrees off
other vols that are filling up. All vols are attached to a single F820
and my admin host is running Solaris 8.

What is the best (read: fastest) way to move a qtree between vols? The
qtrees I'm moving are between 5 and 65 Gb in size.

I've looked at ndmpcopy on the ndmp.org site. It's intended for moves
between filers, but should work fine for moves within the same filer.
Also, the site claims it's been tested on Solaris 2.5.1. Have others
compiled and used it on Solaris 8?

Are there other viable options besides ndmpcopy? I'd appreciate any
advice from others who have gone down this road. TIA.

Cheers,
Ed

--
Ed Alexander
Senior Systems Administrator
RE: qtree Move Between Vols [ In reply to ]
ndmpcopy was originally created for copying files between filers, but it
works extremely well for operations on the same filer. NetApp has made
ndmpcopy part of the base OS in their later releases. It's definately on
6.2.1 but I'm not sure when they snuck it in there..

If you don't like ndmpcopy for Solaris and if upgrading your filer isn't an
option, I'm afraid your stuck with very network intensive copies. They copy
the files from filer to client to filer again... blah!! Hopefully someone
else knows of another option for you

I had a lot of success utilizing ndmpcopy on our Solaris admin hosts...

# ndmpcopy filername:/vol/volume/qtree1 filername:/vol/newvolume/qtree

Re: qtree Move Between Vols [ In reply to ]
Hi Ed,

There is a product called RainStorage, by Rainfinity, that lets you move
files between NetApp filers without interrupting access to those files.
That is while the files are being moved users can still read and write
to them, and no connections are lost. It is a box that one plugs in the
same switch the filers are connected to. The box will put itself in-band
when a move is initiated, and will go out-of-band when the move is
finished (or later if needed). During the move, as clients access the
files, RainStorage keeps both source and destination up to date by
duplicating write requests. Once the move has finished only destination
files are accessed and the source can be deleted.
The product has been running for a while already at NetApp SE labs, they
seem quite excited about it. Let me know if you need more info about it
(data sheet etc..). It is a recent product, so it is not yet on the web
site.

Vincent Bohossian
Senior engineer and co-founder,
Rainfinity
http://www.rainfinity.com
626-396-0046
Re: qtree Move Between Vols [ In reply to ]
Hi Ed,

ndmpcopy works great for qtree transfers, even within the same filer.
There is also a java version called jndmpcopy which should work on any
Solaris platform (I use it on Solaris 7). One nice thing about it is,
it will create the destination qtree for you on the target location, so
you don't need to do this manually. Here is an example:

setenv CLASSPATH /usr/java/src/jndmpcopy.zip
java jndmpcopy.JNdmpcopy filer1:/vol/vol0/qtree1 filer1:/vol/vol3/qtree1
-sa root:passwd -da root:passwd -level i

-level i on the java version of ndmpcopy will let you run unlimited
incremental copies.

Good Luck,

Moshe