The hit on the box is so strong that it's really affecting our serving
files to web users that have webpages hosted on the box. It's reached a
point where I think Netapp's CIFS and/or quota implementation is
seriously screwed. I might have to look at BlueArc or some other vendor
for running our CIFS-based apps, as this is just not cutting it.

Anyone else notice this sort of thing on other boxes, be it F840s or
F760s?

-Scott
Re: quota and running CIFS [ In reply to ]
Scott,

You are seeing a performance hit because the Filer needs to do SID lookups
to run the quota reports for CIFS. Unfortunately there is no way around this
except to not run the quota reports as often (as you discovered) or schedule
them to run off hours (if you have any). My understanding is that OnTap
6.2R2 does SID caching so once you get to that version of OnTap (assuming it
does the cache the SID) you shouldn't see this as a problem any longer.

RE: quota and running CIFS [ In reply to ]
6.2 does have sid caching enabled by default... Settings are:

cifs.sidcache.enable on
cifs.sidcache.lifetime 1440