Mailing List Archive

secure filer access
I'm trying to configure ssh/https admin access from any host to a filer,
but no telnet, no http admin and rsh access from one host only (the
admin host).

I can't find how I can control ssh/https access separately. Is this
really not possible or am I missing something?

how do others manage secure filer management via cli and gui?

thanks - Moritz

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.
> I'm trying to configure ssh/https admin access from any host
> to a filer,
> but no telnet, no http admin and rsh access from one host only (the
> admin host).

Use
"options telnet.access", "options rsh.access" and "options http.access"
commands to control telnet, rsh and http access.

> I can't find how I can control ssh/https access separately. Is this
> really not possible or am I missing something?

We don't have any commands to control the ssh/https access. We are
adding those in the next release.

Regards,
Sreenivasa Potakamuri
Network Appliance.

RE: secure filer access [ In reply to ]
There is also options httpd.admin.access. You can read man page
na_protocolaccess(8) for more details. BTW, options http.access
is options httpd.access. The version on ONTAP is 6.2 or later.

- Rick -

RE: secure filer access [ In reply to ]
Also look at bug ID 49472 on now.netapp.com for
further details.

- Rick -

Re: secure filer access [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 05:34:30PM +0100, Moritz Willers wrote:
> I'm trying to configure ssh/https admin access from any host to a filer,
> but no telnet, no http admin

You need to have SecureAdmin installed and then options:
ssh.enable on
ssl.enable on
httpd.enable off [1]
telnet.enable off

Plus perhaps trusted.hosts
> and rsh access from one host only (the admin host).

That I don't know, I use 'option rsh.enable off'

p.

[1] Hm, not sure if I still need these options:
httpd.access legacy
httpd.admin.access host=adm.ho.st.ip
httpd.admin.enable on
RE: secure filer access [ In reply to ]
The 'options <protocol>.enable' command enables and disables
the <protocol>. With ONTAP 6.2, there is a new feature called
protocol access control which allows you to control access
to a particular protocol. Check out na_protocolaccess(8) for
more details; but the general syntax is:

'options <protocol>.access <access_spec> [[AND|OR <access_spec>] ... ]'
where <access_spec> is:

host [= | != ] <host_spec>
if [= | != ] <network interface spec>
legacy
none
all

<host_spec> is a comma-separated list of host names or IP addresses
<network interface spcec> is a comma-separated list of network
interface names.

The legacy keyword means use the old method for control. For
telnet and httpd.admin, it is telnet.hosts. However, if you
disable telnet, then trusted.hosts is not looked at. The same
goes for httpd.admin.

To answer the original question:

"I'm trying to configure ssh/https admin access from any
host to a filer, but no telnet, no http admin"

Try this:

options ssh.enable on
options ssl.enable on
options telent.enable off
options httpd.admin.enable off

The 'options http.enable off' command will disable http access,
not http admin access. You do need SecureAdmin installed as well.

These options above state:

1. for the HTTP protocol, use legacy, which means access is
allowed for all users.
2. for administrative HTTP, only the host adm.ho.st.ip is
allowed access.

Hope this helps,

- Rick -